Columbia Post Bacc v. Tufts Post Bacc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcr372

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both and I've made a million lists of pros and cons. Does anyone have any advice for me? Or any personal experience with either program that might help? I only have a few days to decide.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both and I've made a million lists of pros and cons. Does anyone have any advice for me? Or any personal experience with either program that might help? I only have a few days to decide.

Thank you!

I don't know anything about Tufts, but I have first-hand experience at Columbia. The program is VERY rigorous, but it will get you into med school if you stick with it. It is difficult to handle with a full-time job, but I know a few who are doing it while working for the first year. The second year (known as the Orgo-Bio year b/c everyone must take those two together - no exceptions) is impossible to do while working full-time, IMHO. Maybe part-time. The courses are tough, especially orgo and bio. The bio course is known to be a pre-med destroyer, and post-bacs are no exception. Of course, post-bac tend to do better than others in general.

All in all, Columbia is really well-respected among med schools. This program is well-established and DOAs know how hard it is. If you come out with a 3.8 or above, with a great undergrad record, you can go anywhere. If you come out with a 3.5 and a decent undergrad record, you will get in somewhere, especially if you link. The linkage programs are awesome, but you have to pick just one school. A lot of students try to link to Brown or Sinai b/c they are the most competitive and forget about NYMC or the SUNYs. This can be a mistake, b/c those schools usually respect postbacs a lot. Some students inadvertently pass up a guaranteed admit this way.

I would recommend the program for someone who has been successful in highly competitive classes (at an Ivy or Ivy-like school). Only by taking a course like that can you know if you are ready. If you are ready, you can't beat Columbia's program.

Best of luck. If you end up choosing Columbia, feel free to PM for advice...

Chauffeur2MD:

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice. I graduated in 06 from Georgetown, and I hope to be able to handle the intensity of Columbia classes. I don't expect this track to be easy at all.

Do you think the benefits of Columbia's program (like the reputation) are much greater than any other? Do med schools really care that much which post-bac program you came from, or just that you did well there and on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd chime in here, since I just asked the reputation question to my pre-med advisor yesterday...

Her answer is: reputation means A LOT for post-bac programs. I'm still waiting to hear from Tufts, and she said that the program would likely be well-received as well, even though it's new, because of Tufts' reputation. Overall, her advice was: go wherever you think you'll do better. I think Columbia and Tufts are both great schools.

Ggnome, I think you may be getting two different Tufts programs mixed up. The Tufts Post-Bac Premedical Program (http://studentservices.tufts.edu/postbac/) has been around for a number of years. This is their program for career changers who have not taken any of the prerequisites. It's only the new Master in Biomedical Sciences Program (http://www.tufts.edu/med/education/mbs/index.html) that is new. This is their program for people who want to enhance their record before applying to medical schools.

Chauffeur2MD:

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice. I graduated in 06 from Georgetown, and I hope to be able to handle the intensity of Columbia classes. I don't expect this track to be easy at all.

Do you think the benefits of Columbia's program (like the reputation) are much greater than any other? Do med schools really care that much which post-bac program you came from, or just that you did well there and on the MCAT?

Hey,

Like the others, I think that they are both respectable programs. Most med schools will see good grades at Tufts or Columbia as about the same (maybe Columbia comes out ahead by a little). Location is definitely a factor, however. Columbia sends lots of undergrads and postbacs to NYC-area schools every year, so if you are interested in NYU or NYMC, for example, I would choose Columbia. If you wanted to go to BU or UMass, I would choose Tufts. There is a strong regional influence with med schools. The main advantage with Columbia is the linkage possibilities. While Tufts links to only 2 allopathic schools, Columbia links with 10 US allopathic schools. If you are considering linkage at all, Columbia is a good bet. But with a nearly 50% attrition rate, many don't make it far enough to consider linkage. It's not for the meek, but it is a great program.

Location is important to consider for another reason (not just linkage and reputation w/nearby schools). Tufts is in Waltham, MA, and Columbia is in Harlem (now fondly known as Morningside Heights). To go to Columbia, you should really love city living, b/c it is nearly impossible to live outside the city and commute in. Thus the cost of living can be quite high. If you think that you will need to work more to support a NYC lifestyle, you might be better off in the more reasonably-priced Boston suburbs.

As a postbac, you're not going to have much of a life, but what little you have, you should try to make the best of!

Ggnome, I think you may be getting two different Tufts programs mixed up. The Tufts Post-Bac Premedical Program (http://studentservices.tufts.edu/postbac/) has been around for a number of years. This is their program for career changers who have not taken any of the prerequisites. It's only the new Master in Biomedical Sciences Program (http://www.tufts.edu/med/education/mbs/index.html) that is new. This is their program for people who want to enhance their record before applying to medical schools.

Oops! My mistake. I just have that Tufts MBS program on the brain! ;)

Hey,

To go to Columbia, you should really love city living, b/c it is nearly impossible to live outside the city and commute in.

Not entirely impossible. I live in Queens and commute in and I know several other individuals that commute from Queens and Brooklyn. Admittedly it makes everything much more difficult, and the hours lost in coming and going are certainly hours lost in studying. Nonetheless, it can be done.

Tufts is in Waltham, MA, and Columbia is in Harlem

Quick correction: Tufts is in Somerville, MA, not Waltham (you're thinking of Brandeis).

Quick correction: Tufts is in Somerville, MA, not Waltham (you're thinking of Brandeis).

Good call. You are right. I was actually thinking of Tufts Health Plan, where I used to work. Somerville is closer to Cambridge and Boston, but it is definitely easier to find affordable accommodations in that area than in Manhattan. The other posters are right - I know a few who commute from the outer boroughs. If you don't know the city very well, it is tricky to find a place to live outside of Manhattan that is both safe and more moderately priced. You can easily pay Manhattan prices to live in a nice area of Brooklyn. You probably don't want to get a cheap apt in Brooklyn. Finding something in the middle is the challenge - not easy without knowing someone with a history in the city who can help you (and remember, brokers are not good for this purpose!)

Hi guys,

As per archived files, the acceptance rate at Columbia seems pretty high ("accepts anyone w/ a 3.0 GPA or higher). Is this still true?

Also I've taken everything so far except Orgo, however I would like to take the Chem, Physics, and Bio over again since I took those courses 5 years ago. I have a 3.4 undergrad GPA, 2 years of scientific research experience, some publications, and about to complete a MPH.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into Columbia's postbac premed program? I don't see why I wouldn't be accepted, except for the fact that I already took Chem, Bio, and Physics (which I mentioned I would like to take over again since its been ages).

Thanks.

hey, your stats sound more than fine... like you said the only question would be whether or not they would be ok with you retaking classes, and my instinct would be that it would be alright. why not call them up or email them and ask?

Agree with previous posts. Both great schools. I thought I'd chime in because I went through a very similar decision process a couple of years ago....after agonizing, researching, and talking to as many people as possible I realized that post-bacc reputation, in general, is much more important than undergrad reputation....where you go CAN matter. In my case, my decision came down to Drexel, penn, and Hunter (i'm a NY resident) and ultimately chose Penn. Like anything else, this decision largely depends on the individual and their background.

I'm a Penn State Finance major and will be entering my junior year in the fall. I know this just may be a phase since everyone my age starts to think about their future, but I just don't see anything that makes me a special business person. My true love was science, but I abandoned that when the guidance counselors told us, just apply to the business school. Anyway, I have been researching the Columbia Postbacc program and I keep seeing this minimum 3.0 GPA number. I have a 3.4 and there is no reason it should go any lower, do I have a shot even though Penn State could be considered a second-tier university? Any other advice would be appreciated.

As I am international student from Asia, I am concerned if I would be accepted to the program (already applied for Spring09 term). If you know any successful international student inside the postbac premed program in Columbia (or any other institutions), would you please kindly let me know their situations, off-university experience, age, and/or any other background which might have helped them to get into the program???

FYI, I graduated from a US college (Ranked around 40th best national university in USNEWS) in 2006 with an undergraduate business degree (GPA 3.3 after transfer, and 3.7 before transfer (I was in a different private college in the US before)) and working as a financial analyst in one of the largest US conglomerate.

I really appreciate your response and information!

hey, i'm applying to post-bac programs for fall 2009 right now, and columbia and tufts are two of my top choices (also nyu and usc)
i can't find any statistics on admissions into these post-bac programs...what kind of background did you have?

i'm a senior history major at UC Berkeley and have a 3.56 gpa, and i've taken no science courses...i have some outside volunteer and all thath stuff...but when these programs advertise min. gpa of 3.2, it's hard to tell what they consider competitive applicants. any advice?