Columbia Revisit Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Epogen,

Don't worry...we will be posting about it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Incendiary and figure five--I'm going to Campo's too...there was apparently a "waitlist" for Carmine's so I got bumped out of that one...oh well. By the way, they are letting us make private financial aid appointments with Idita to discuss our packages/special circumstances...you just have to call financial services and reserve a time BEFORE you go to revisit day. BTW, is anyone else staying through the weekend?

You guys from the warmer climates better bring jackets it is cold out here this week!!!!! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone (and Epi),

Just got back from the weekend. I have to say that I was very surprised with many things at columbia.

First off, the people I met were amazing. They didn't seem to fit into my normal category of pre-meds in my college classes. I don't know if it was just a facade, but I felt like I could really get along with everyone who I had a conversation with! Great group of people!

The SDNers I met were all great! I am amazed that everyone is relatively down to earth. Trout, Jewelry, Figure Five, Modemduck, *insertnamehere* it was a blast!

Second, The gym is REALLY GOOD! There is a separate free weight room I didn't notice before and it has most the weights you need to have a good workout. There is a nice sized pool that is indoors and there is a good basketball court where it seems like it is easy to pick up a game at all times. The cardio section could use a little help but they still have 2 stairs, 3 treadmills, some other stair type things, and then machine weights. Squash courts too!

They seemed to be very generous with financial aid too. The only thing is that they WILL factor in your parents contribution no matter what. I mean, if they didn't, then I guess everyone would probably have half rides and they would have to raise the price of tuition.

Bard Hall IS NOT THAT BAD!!!!! The only thing that is a pain is you have to share bathrooms and showers. If the hall shared a bathroom to two people, say interconnecting between rooms, I wouldn't mind living there for more than 1 year. The rooms are spacious and really not that bad. Remember, you are paying like 550 a month and you get all utilities paid for and you get ETHERNET so you can continually post on SDN. :wink: And then if you can get into the towers, it is amazing! Great apartments!

Faculty: Wonderful!
Students: Amazing group! I left asking myself how the hell I got into Columbia. I definitely do not know how I stood out...oh well....I am pretty much 99.999 percent set on going there now.

Dislikes: Probably only one. The fact that it's like high school all over again. Through such a small class people form impressions (some right some wrong) and spread gossip fairly fast. This is going to be true at any school though. My friend had warned me about his bud who went to columbia and he was from California. He said that everyone in the class ostracized him and felt superior to him. I did not find this to be the case. The only thing I noticed was the formation of cliques pretty fast. But hey, I guess that's life and that's what happens :)

That's all I can think of right now. There are a few food places around. Someone mentioned that many places do delivery. Lots of students seem to go down to the undergrad and study there and just grab a bite to eat down there where there are more places to eat.

Anyone have anything else to add?

I liked Columbia a lot more than I did during my interview. The students were pretty nice, although I noticed they tended to be older and have taken more time off than was the case at Duke. (They also tended to be better looking.)

I didn't like the lecture hall though. Also, I noticed there were like no black or Hispanic students. Everyone was white or East Asian.

Anyway, overall, very chill place. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Accept me:
•Did Scooby act like a big dork and embarass California? :wink: :p •••••You should have come if you didn't want me to embarrass us :) haha
there were actually a good amount of us from
cali out there :)

What schools were people from in CA? Were most others Ivy Leagues? Do tell more about the other potential P&Sers! I feel left out!

does anyone know when orientation starts?

good old peer pressure!
i promised my future p and s classmates that i would get my act together and post after admitting to reading this site all year. a true slacker!
had a great time meeting you guys this past week. didn't quite have scooby doo's experience with ideta and the financial aid folks, but the rest of the weekend was fun. although i was 100% when i went, and 100% when i left, it was still more than a little overwhelming. (who knew med school would be so much work?) but it looks like the kids at p and s find ways to have a good time.
for those washington-heights-bound who didn't go to the weekend - it was a great time! looks like a very FUN and interesting place to learn medicine. hope you all decide to go.

orientation starts the 19th.

I must say, I had a fantastic two days at Columbia. I got a much better impression of the students than I did at my interview, and it was great meeting some of you SDN'ers! It seemed like (almost) everyone left feeling like they wanted to go there.
Is anyone else thinking about working at Columbia over the summer with the department of psychiatry (we got info about it with our acceptances)? I only met one other person who was doing it...if you are, let me know!

I was wondering if all the future P&Sers might exchange IM screennames so we can chat over the summer . . . I don't usually sign on at all during the school year, but scoob found me yesterday, and I was thinking it might be fun to spend some time over the summer virtually getting to know you all. Anyway, I'll start:

grasshopper: smack32281

That's a good idea...surprisingly enough, mine is Jewely2177...I'm not on that often but if I am then I'd love to hear from you!

If anyone wants mine...PM me :)