kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Quick question...the Columbia secondary has a section for your MCAT score but it says below it "if your verbal score is between 13 and 15, then enter 15 in the space provided." Does this mean they value the verbal reasoning section over other sections, or maybe that they think there's no difference between scores in the the 13-15 range? If my score is to be considered a 15, that means I just went from a 33 to a 35....I'll take that ;). What do you think?

PS- anyone know what happened to the "search" feature that used to be in the blue bar below the private messages area? I know there is still the "search the SDN forums with Google" area, but that seems to just search titles or something...I can never find what I'm looking for with that.

NOTE: Edited post- it originally read "Cornell" rather than "Columbia"

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
kypdurron5 said:
Quick question...the Cornell secondary has a section for your MCAT score but it says below it "if your verbal score is between 13 and 15, then enter 15 in the space provided." Does this mean they value the verbal reasoning section over other sections, or maybe that they think there's no difference between scores in the the 13-15 range? If my score is to be considered a 15, that means I just went from a 33 to a 35....I'll take that ;). What do you think?

PS- anyone know what happened to the "search" feature that used to be in the blue bar below the private messages area? I know there is still the "search the SDN forums with Google" area, but that seems to just search titles or something...I can never find what I'm looking for with that.
The only thing I can think of is that that is a relic of when the verbal scores were reported 13-15 when you scored in that range. I'd say do what the application says. It can only help!

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Columbia's did the same thing. I was told by my Kaplan instructor--NO IDEA IF THIS IS TRUE--that the curve on the top end of the verbal section is so brutal (miss 1 Q=14, 2=13, 3=12 or something like that) that some schools feel there is no real difference between a 13-15. Whereas the phys and bio sci sections allow more room for missed questions at each scaled score.

About the Ads
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OneDayDoc said:
Columbia's did the same thing. I was told by my Kaplan instructor--NO IDEA IF THIS IS TRUE--that the curve on the top end of the verbal section is so brutal (miss 1 Q=14, 2=13, 3=12 or something like that) that some schools feel there is no real difference between a 13-15. Whereas the phys and bio sci sections allow more room for missed questions at each scaled score.
I'm SURE I read something along those lines, but I thought it only applied to a specific year, or maybe to year(s) before a major revamp or something. Either way I didn't think that still applied.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
OneDayDoc said:
Actually, I think I remember reading something really close to this on some website... I took this off the Amazon summary of the MCAT Practice Tests by Kaplan:

You don't have to be perfect to do well. For instance, on the AAMC's Practice Test II, you could get as many as four questions wrong in Verbal Reasoning, 21 in Physical Sciences, and 16 in Biological Sciences and still score in the 80th percentile. To score in the 90th percentile, you could get as many as two wrong in Verbal Reasoning, 16 in Physical Sciences, and 11 in Biological Sciences. Even students who receive perfect scaled scores usually get a handful of questions wrong.

So, looking at those differences in numbers, I'd say that the Kaplan instructor was accurate. Of course, since this is coming from a Kaplan book, and only talks about one test....

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
I trust Kaplan as far as I can throw them and their green dot.

tennisguy896

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
What? I thought Cornell's secondary only asks for your BCPM courses and then why you want to attend Weill. I didn't see anything about the mcat.

HelenaP

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tennisguy896 said:
What? I thought Cornell's secondary only asks for your BCPM courses and then why you want to attend Weill. I didn't see anything about the mcat.
Same here, I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
kypdurron5 said:
I'm SURE I read something along those lines, but I thought it only applied to a specific year, or maybe to year(s) before a major revamp or something. Either way I didn't think that still applied.
How is the MCAT scored?

MCAT scores are based on the four parts of the MCAT exam: Physical Sciences (PS), Verbal Reasoning (VR), Biological Sciences (BS), and the Writing Sample (WS).

For PS, there are 77 questions, with a scoring range of 1 to 15.
For VR, there are 60 questions, with a scoring range of 1 to 15.

For BS, there are 77 questions, with a scoring range of 1 to 15.
For WS, there are 2 questions, with a scoring range of J to T.

From http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#wayscoring

And I also read that it is no longer 13-15 being the same score. So yes. It no longer applies, but I would say that you should submit your secondary with the inflated score and then anonymously inform them. :laugh:

OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dimebag darrell said:
I'm almost positive the OP meant Columbia, not Cornell.
Oh, did I forget to mention I am insane? Hehe, you're all right, I was talking about Columbia...I have Columbia written everywhere except my post...even when I was searching the SDN forums I used the correct one. Oh well! I've changed the OP to reflect this egregious error >).

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Heh, you read my mind kyp. I just started filling out the Columbia secondary and was wondering the same thing. Anyway, 13 here, so I'm quite happy indeed! I was also wondering about the science GPA - is that just BCPM, or can we put whatever we want that is scientific (i.e. engineering...)?

OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bretticus said:
Heh, you read my mind kyp. I just started filling out the Columbia secondary and was wondering the same thing. Anyway, 13 here, so I'm quite happy indeed! I was also wondering about the science GPA - is that just BCPM, or can we put whatever we want that is scientific (i.e. engineering...)?
Hrrrm...I would put BCPM just to be on the safe side unless I REALLY needed a GPA boost. Engineering is certainly a science, but not in the same way BCPM is; perhaps more importantly it's not quite as relavent to medical school.

About the Ads