Columbia Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm asking this again, but I can't find the other threads....

1) On the Columbia Secondary, do we use AMCAS gpa, or our school's gpa?

I haven't been processed in AMCAS so I don't know what my AMCAS gpa is yet...

2) Also, when they ask for dates of attendance to our institution, do I say from 2003 to 2006, or do I say from 2003 to 2007 (date of completion of degree)?

3) At the very end, when they ask if letters of recommendation have been sent, do I say NO, if my school sent an evaluation package instead (from a committee interview???)

Thanks for the help, I want to submit today if possible. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

baylormed said:
Sorry if I'm asking this again, but I can't find the other threads....

1) On the Columbia Secondary, do we use AMCAS gpa, or our school's gpa?

I haven't been processed in AMCAS so I don't know what my AMCAS gpa is yet...

2) Also, when they ask for dates of attendance to our institution, do I say from 2003 to 2006, or do I say from 2003 to 2007 (date of completion of degree)?

3) At the very end, when they ask if letters of recommendation have been sent, do I say NO, if my school sent an evaluation package instead (from a committee interview???)

Thanks for the help, I want to submit today if possible. :love:

My thoughts (someone else will hopefully say something if this is wrong):

1) I assume AMCAS gpa, since they individually request your undergraduate GPAs for each institution.
2) 2003 - 2006; there is a separate box for "degree received or expected"
3) Say no, unless you're applying to the MD/PhD program

Anyone who has completed, or that is completely sure about question #1 I would appreciate some help.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Bay,

I would put your AMCAS GPA, since that is what Columbia will get from AMCAS, and AMCAS saw your transcripts. Columbia doesn't see your transcripts, so how would they know?

EDIT: Also if your school already sent your letters, say YES! Your letters have already been sent! :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey Bay,

I would put your AMCAS GPA, since that is what Columbia will get from AMCAS, and AMCAS saw your transcripts. Columbia doesn't see your transcripts, so how would they know?

EDIT: Also if your school already sent your letters, say YES! Your letters have already been sent! :)

Hi Jackie,

thanks for the answer. As far as the letters, I am not sending letters of recommendation. My school is sending the evaluation packet compiled from the committee interview, so I wasn't sure whether the answer to that questions was YES or NO. It seems to me like they mean individual letters.... :confused:

The GPA, I haven't been verified, so how do I know what it is...I can calculate it I guess....
But then, for individual institutional gpa's, do I calculate AMCAS gpas for each school???? AMCAS doesn't do that, do they?

baylormed said:
Hi Jackie,

thanks for the answer. As far as the letters, I am not sending letters of recommendation. My school is sending the evaluation packet compiled from the committee interview, so I wasn't sure whether the answer to that questions was YES or NO. It seems to me like they mean individual letters.... :confused:

The GPA, I haven't been verified, so how do I know what it is...I can calculate it I guess....
But then, for individual institutional gpa's, do I calculate AMCAS gpas for each school???? AMCAS doesn't do that, do they?

AMCAS gives you one big GPA for everything. For all of your schools.
If your committee mailed the letter, pick YES. I'm fairly sure they just want to know if they should look for something for you.

Another dumb question....

I want to make sure I'm mailing everything I need to mail:

-Fee payment or AMCAs fee waiver letter.
-Page with picture on it.
-Evaluation package from school

and that's it? :confused:

Yes maam. And you know what? I think you can cool it on Columbia while you wait for your AMCAS GPA. Tell you why. When I called last week, the woman on the phone said that they hadn't even made files for those of us who have already submitted and that the adcom doesn't arrive until mid-Aug. Relax, dear. Deep breath. :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Yes maam. And you know what? I think you can cool it on Columbia while you wait for your AMCAS GPA. Tell you why. When I called last week, the woman on the phone said that they hadn't even made files for those of us who have already submitted and that the adcom doesn't arrive until mid-Aug. Relax, dear. Deep breath. :)

Wow..that's weird...mid august?? I guess they just start when classes start.

Thanks!

Some clarification on the recommendation letter questions

To: "Have you requested your College Premedical Committee or Advisor to send us a recommendation?"

Answer: yes (though I don't think this question was the one that confused you)

To: "Are you going to list here the names of three persons familiar with your work whom you have asked to support your application with letters of recommendation.?
(This option is required if you are an applicant to the MD-PhD program.)"

Answer: no

Say no to the second question because of this (from their original e-mail informing us about the secondary's availability):

PLEASE NOTE: With regards to the question about letters of recommendation, if you are having a committee packet sent, do not list the names of the recommenders. If you are not having a committee packet sent, but individual letters, please write their names in the list of recommenders.

And the GPAs:

The AMCAS verified GPAs should go in the Undergraduate GPA section (since this is split into science and cumulative), while the cumulative GPAs from your undergrad/grad schools should go in the institutional GPA fields.

Jackie and Baylor, does this sound about right?