Columbia Thank Yous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieOConnor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Columbia, and when i sent my thank you letter, the interviewer wrote me a letter in return.

At first I was really excited and thought it was a good sign. Then I heard that Dean Franz sends letters to applicants, replying to the thank you notes they send their interviewers. Do most people who get accepted get one of these letters? Is getting a letter from your interviewer a good sign, or does everyone get one.

Members don't see this ad.

KatieOConnor said:
I interviewed at Columbia, and when i sent my thank you letter, the interviewer wrote me a letter in return.

At first I was really excited and thought it was a good sign. Then I heard that Dean Franz sends letters to applicants, replying to the thank you notes they send their interviewers. Do most people who get accepted get one of these letters? Is getting a letter from your interviewer a good sign, or does everyone get one.

I think this can best be answered if you do a search - this topic comes up every year. But the short answer to your question is: it's totally random. People who get the letter (and there are two versions - and no, one version isn't better than another) get rejected; others who don't get the letter get accepted.

But it is a nice touch, ain't it?

ajt2003 said:
I think this can best be answered if you do a search - this topic comes up every year. But the short answer to your question is: it's totally random. People who get the letter (and there are two versions - and no, one version isn't better than another) get rejected; others who don't get the letter get accepted.

But it is a nice touch, ain't it?

They hyped up the letter writing so much that I assumed that Frantz wrote back to everyone...he replied to my interviewer's thank you letter (sent in Oct when I interviewed) and my update letter that I sent out last month. Guess we'll see what goes down in a few weeks ;).

**edit**
oh my god, i just wasted an hour of my life (AND MISSING THE DUKE-UNC GAME) reading last year's wailtist thread.............cease and desist is all i can say......good lord the columbia waitlist sounds insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
aprilshyla said:
They hyped up the letter writing so much that I assumed that Frantz wrote back to everyone...he replied to my interviewer's thank you letter (sent in Oct when I interviewed) and my update letter that I sent out last month. Guess we'll see what goes down in a few weeks ;).

**edit**
oh my god, i just wasted an hour of my life (AND MISSING THE DUKE-UNC GAME) reading last year's wailtist thread.............cease and desist is all i can say......good lord the columbia waitlist sounds insane.

it's the pits... i'm sure you saw my name on there way too many times. i'll bet i wasted a cumulative day of my life posting on that dumb thread. good luck.

i hope u guys all know this yr is an anomaly for P&S. First yr they went amcas, so applications skyrocketed this yr now that folks can just click on P&S on amcas. In addition to the later acceptance/rejection date (i heard march? ugh), I'm sure waitlists will be different this yr too. That said, if u really really wanna go here, say so in a letter.

For those that are strongly considering P&S, mark down the weekend of April 15th - it's revisit weekend. I think it's 2-3 day event where u can meet your potential classmates, meet us (the current first yrs). We will be euphorically happy because 1) warm weather will finally be coming around and 2) anatomy lab is over!

Bonnie

i got a postcard that said "thank you for your recent communication." what does that mean? i bet it means thanks for my recent communication. :)

myodana said:
i got a postcard that said "thank you for your recent communication." what does that mean? i bet it means thanks for my recent communication. :)

I got that too....I feel that it isn't a good sign being that so many people got personal responses. :confused:

missbonnie said:
i hope u guys all know this yr is an anomaly for P&S. First yr they went amcas, so applications skyrocketed this yr now that folks can just click on P&S on amcas. In addition to the later acceptance/rejection date (i heard march? ugh), I'm sure waitlists will be different this yr too. That said, if u really really wanna go here, say so in a letter.

For those that are strongly considering P&S, mark down the weekend of April 15th - it's revisit weekend. I think it's 2-3 day event where u can meet your potential classmates, meet us (the current first yrs). We will be euphorically happy because 1) warm weather will finally be coming around and 2) anatomy lab is over!

Bonnie

Bonnie, thanks! But is the number of interviews also up? Also, I remember a tour guide telling us the same thing about writing the dean to say Columbia is our number one choice if we really want in. I feel like it's kind of strange to have this unstated requirement of writing a letter if you "really" want in. Doesn't seem very fair to applicants who never get this info, don't you think?

Sparky Man said:
Bonnie, thanks! But is the number of interviews also up? Also, I remember a tour guide telling us the same thing about writing the dean to say Columbia is our number one choice if we really want in. I feel like it's kind of strange to have this unstated requirement of writing a letter if you "really" want in. Doesn't seem very fair to applicants who never get this info, don't you think?

SM, I was wondering about the number of interviews, too. I mean, I've heard in the past that Columbia's interviewed nearly 50% of its applicants. But if they have a larger number of applicants this year, perhaps they're only interviewing 20-30% - which would still roughly correspond to the same final number of applicants interviewed.

I think it would be a bit silly if Columbia interviewed way more applicants than in previous years...the number of slots hasn't changed, right?

Perhaps it's just the physical act of rifling through the many more applications that's slowing things down.

Just my musings for the day.

Who's with me!?

ajt2003 said:
SM, I was wondering about the number of interviews, too. I mean, I've heard in the past that Columbia's interviewed nearly 50% of its applicants. But if they have a larger number of applicants this year, perhaps they're only interviewing 20-30% - which would still roughly correspond to the same final number of applicants interviewed.
?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. They were already interviewing many more people than the other top schools, before the huge increase in applicants. If they interview many more than 1000, that could really slow things down.

I'm patiently waiting by the mailbox... :luck:

Sparky Man said:

I'm not convinced the number of interviews is up (also from what I've heard from my advisory dean, who is an interviewer).

About the note writing -- this is coming from a girl who dropped a note in the mail last-minute (before acceptances were sent out) and never heard back regarding it -- a note is not going to make or break your application. Especially if EVERYONE is doing it.

SarahGM said:
I'm not convinced the number of interviews is up (also from what I've heard from my advisory dean, who is an interviewer).

About the note writing -- this is coming from a girl who dropped a note in the mail last-minute (before acceptances were sent out) and never heard back regarding it -- a note is not going to make or break your application. Especially if EVERYONE is doing it.

I guess we're supposed to be hearing from Columbia sometime in the next couple of weeks (*crossing my fingers*) - I have been debating whether to send them a letter now or wait to see if I'm waitlisted or rejected. I'm doing some new things this semester and I was wondering if sending them an update now would affect my chances. I was interviewed way back in September so I feel like my application has either collected a lot of dust or is being crushed by the other 3000 right now (literally and figuratively). For those of you currently attending P&S, were you accepted right away or did you have to pucker up to get off the waitlist? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
all right. what did your letters say. Mine said something along the line of your chances of acceptance are "very good." "From a personal point of view i may say that it would give me real pleasure to have you with us at p&S" Should I keep persuing trying to get people to write me letters and keep giving me recommendations and telling them that this is absolutley my first choice (which it is) I dont want to screw up my chances by doing something stupid, but Columbia is the place for me and I don't know what course of action to take. Keep showing them my interest or just let it stand? Let me know.

:eek: :p :D :rolleyes: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :cool: :D :)

Realest said:
I guess we're supposed to be hearing from Columbia sometime in the next couple of weeks (*crossing my fingers*) - I have been debating whether to send them a letter now or wait to see if I'm waitlisted or rejected. I'm doing some new things this semester and I was wondering if sending them an update now would affect my chances. I was interviewed way back in September so I feel like my application has either collected a lot of dust or is being crushed by the other 3000 right now (literally and figuratively). For those of you currently attending P&S, were you accepted right away or did you have to pucker up to get off the waitlist? Any advice?

I am currently attending P&S and was accepted right away. Specifically, what sort of advice are you looking for?

Realest, write the update letter - if you're working, tie in your current interests with what you hope to achieve at Columbia (e.g. research); write about why you're going to be a perfect match for Columbia, what you have to offer; if you're in school, send your grades, etc.

I just read last year's waitlist thread. Oh. My. God. I do NOT want to be on that thing - and writing an update letter/letter of interest takes, what, an hour or two at most? Well worth the time if Columbia's near or at the top of your list. And it's definitely rumored that Dean Frantz likes 'em.

Plus, as said, they haven't heard anything from you since September! That was 5 months ago. Long time. Do it - send the letter.

I've been updating Dean Frantz every month since my interview (which was in late November). Granted, my PI is very prolific, so there's a lot to update about - I just don't want to take any chances. Good luck!

dewzen said:
all right. what did your letters say. Mine said something along the line of your chances of acceptance are "very good." "From a personal point of view i may say that it would give me real pleasure to have you with us at p&S" Should I keep persuing trying to get people to write me letters and keep giving me recommendations and telling them that this is absolutley my first choice (which it is) I dont want to screw up my chances by doing something stupid, but Columbia is the place for me and I don't know what course of action to take. Keep showing them my interest or just let it stand? Let me know.

:eek: :p :D :rolleyes: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :cool: :D :)

wow. mine just said that I would be kept "very strongly in mind". Yours sounds much more promising. :(

I had the "personal point of view..." part... I think they are all pretty much the same,and do not mean too much (unfortuately!)

chlorineK said:
I had the "personal point of view..." part... I think they are all pretty much the same,and do not mean too much (unfortuately!)

Yup, my first one was, "we're keeping you strongly in mind, blah blah blah [your interviewer] had a good time talking to you." My second reply was "we're keeping you very strongly in mind (empahsis mine), I know you want to come to Columbia and I think you would make a good fit." Sounds pretty standard, who knows. ???

I just remembered the henious secondary, and how it asked if any of our parents were affiliated with Columbia med, undergrad, or grad. My dad got his PhD at Columbia and I wrote that on there...I suppose this can only be a good thing, but anyone know how much of these legend students (or quasi-legend students in my case) play into admissions?

I emailed Dr. Frantz yesterday and asked for a more defined date on when initial acceptances go out. :eek: I always feel like I'm bugging him, but I'm going on past SDN faith here that he likes to hear from us. :D

Wow, this thread is making me nervous. I heard from my interviewer but not from Dean Frantz. :scared: I need to chill out and stop reading into every little thing. I'll hear when I hear. :luck:

aprilshyla- Please let us know if/when he replies- and good luck with Columbia.

I think that your dad's Ph.D. makes you an alum, which will help. Columbia is very into that sort of thing. Columbia is my undergrad, and even that, I am hoping/expecting will help (please!)

aprilshyla said:
I just remembered the henious secondary, and how it asked if any of our parents were affiliated with Columbia med, undergrad, or grad. My dad got his PhD at Columbia and I wrote that on there...I suppose this can only be a good thing, but anyone know how much of these legend students (or quasi-legend students in my case) play into admissions?

I would say about 30-40% of our 1st year class is a "legacy," in the sense that a family member (most often a parent) attended P&S. I don't know much about the other schools at Columbia playing a factor. Our advisory dean (an interviewer) told us that it does play a factor in admissions. They won't admit someone who is a legacy but has clearly slacked off all four years of college, but if the applicant has been a good student, he or she will most likely be admitted. I think what he meant was that there are no exceptions for legacies who apply with less than the average accepted student's statistics. If that makes sense...

This was what I was told....

SarahGM said:
I would say about 30-40% of our 1st year class is a "legacy," in the sense that a family member (most often a parent) attended P&S. I don't know much about the other schools at Columbia playing a factor. Our advisory dean (an interviewer) told us that it does play a factor in admissions. They won't admit someone who is a legacy but has clearly slacked off all four years of college, but if the applicant has been a good student, he or she will most likely be admitted. I think what he meant was that there are no exceptions for legacies who apply with less than the average accepted student's statistics. If that makes sense...

This was what I was told....

legacy student, that's what i meant....i knew "legend student" looked kinda funny. :laugh:

yeah, my dad is not a graduate of P&S, but rather an alum of Columbia grad school, but since the application asked for it, I figured it couldn't hurt :D

Straight from the horse's mouth:

In response to your question, all letters of decision will be sent out
the first week of March.

Andrew G. Frantz.

aprilshyla said:

the first week of March.

Andrew G. Frantz.

:( Oh, the agony of waiting...

aprilshyla said:

the first week of March.

Andrew G. Frantz.

And what a horse!

(I don't know what that means.)

Nicely played, aprilshyla. Nicely played.

Couple more weeks of waiting...

ajt2003 said:
And what a horse!

(I don't know what that means.)

Nicely played, aprilshyla. Nicely played.

Couple more weeks of waiting...

Does anyone believe that despite their ranking, Columbia actually isn't all that great. I have heard this, any truth to this? Dont' hate

so this thread has depressed the hell out of me. i also got a letter from Dr. Frantz that also mentioned my chances of acceptance as being "very good". I was so excited about that letter, but now it sounds like many people receive it. What a bummer. I am not a legacy nor do I have any Ivy association whatsoever. haha, i totally feel like i have no chances now.

awesome!

this is why people turn to the bottle.

Hi all,
Did you guys send the letter(s) to Dr. Frantz and/or your interviewers to the admissions office and ask them to forward them, or did you send them directly to either the dean/interviewer?

Email or snail?

Thanks

Rugger81 said:
so this thread has depressed the hell out of me. i also got a letter from Dr. Frantz that also mentioned my chances of acceptance as being "very good". I was so excited about that letter, but now it sounds like many people receive it. What a bummer. I am not a legacy nor do I have any Ivy association whatsoever. haha, i totally feel like i have no chances now.

awesome!

Don't read too much into the letter. My friend last year received it was really excited. She ended up getting waitlisted anyways.

So, I haven't heard a thing from Columbia, but I just called them on Friday. Apparently they extended their interview period and will be conducting interviews through the first week of March. So, if they plan on sending out the first acceptances in the first week, I guess they'll also still be interviewing some people?! Kind of confusing. Anyhow, there's still a chance for some people I guess. Good luck!

Jack_Adam said:
So, I haven't heard a thing from Columbia, but I just called them on Friday. Apparently they extended their interview period and will be conducting interviews through the first week of March. So, if they plan on sending out the first acceptances in the first week, I guess they'll also still be interviewing some people?! Kind of confusing. Anyhow, there's still a chance for some people I guess. Good luck!

Oh god, and here it begins, the different stories that come from the Columbia admissions office (if you've read last year's waitlist thread, you know what im taking about....if you haven't.... :scared: ). Frantz's email was this morning at like 7 AM, and it did say "all letters of decision." :rolleyes:

Rugger81 said:

awesome!

Yeah, the exact thing happened to me. But better to know than to get my hopes up, eh? It kinda sucks that Columbia does that :mad:.

bb88 said:
Hi all,
Did you guys send the letter(s) to Dr. Frantz and/or your interviewers to the admissions office and ask them to forward them, or did you send them directly to either the dean/interviewer?

Email or snail?

Thanks.

Either works. One of mine was snail, the other was email. And my letters were to Frantz, my interviewer got a thank-you card.

aprilshyla said:
Yeah, the exact thing happened to me. But better to know than to get my hopes up, eh? It kinda sucks that Columbia does that :mad:

I got a postcard saying "your communication has been received"....not quite as fancy as the letter that you guys got, and based on last year's thread, I don't know whether to go ahead and chalk it up as bleak or hold out hope.

You'd think they'd quit with the mindgames after the interview....but noooooo.... :p

I think a positive note from an interviewer is a good sign. I had one of those. Got a note from Frantz too. But who knows.

And yes, if P&S is your first choice, tell them ASAP and why!

bonnie

hmmm... I received a personal email reply from my interviewer, but nothing from Frantz. I wonder what this mean...Maybe that is because I only emailed my interviewer and didn't send a letter. only time will tell