Columbia U. and Harvard's post-bacc premed programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bill clark, Aug 1, 2000.

1. bill clark

bill clark Junior Member

I'm planning on applying to Harvard and Columbia's post-bacc premed programs and would like to know if anyone has gone through these programs. Do you feel they offer candidates an added "edge" in the decision process? I understand the Columbia program is quite rigorous and thorough in its preparation, and has the added advantage of a linkage program. Would greatly appreciate any advice or insight.

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AMF

AMF New Member

Hi there! I just finished Harvard's post-bacc. I am now applying to schools for 2001. I have heard good things about Columbia's program, too, but I actually knew a few people who were Columbia undergrads who chose to come to Harvard for post-bacc. (I don't know what that says...) I did well in the program and enjoyed it...my only problem now is getting over my somewhat low MCATs. (I think I concentrated too much on maintaining a high GPA and not enough on studying for the MCAT.) If you have specific questions, feel free to email!

4. MJF

MJF

AMF,

How competitive is it to get into Harvard's post-bacc premed program?? I come from a Top 25 school,does that help?

5. AMF

AMF New Member

MJF, that is one of the great things about it...you can just take classes there without even applying at all. But if you want them to sponsor you for med school, you have to apply and you have to keep up a certain gpa and get a certaing score on your MCAT depending on your undergrad GPA.