Columbia, U.Mich, and Thank You Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneman

The Transgenic Hobo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mom informed me that I received a letter in the mail from Columbia. It basically said something along the lines of "I appreciate you sending a thank-you note to [guy I interviewed with]. We send out acceptance/rejection notifications in February, so don't worry if you don't hear from us by then. We are very strongly keeping you in mind." It was personally signed by the Franz guy.

So the Thank You note did have some effect, at least enough to have Franz mention it in this letter.

For my U.Mich interview, I did not send any of the three interviewers a Thank You note... and I received that e-mail posted in another thread.

I guess the take home message would be when it doubt, send a TY note.

Members don't see this ad.

What email posted in another thread?

always send thank you notes. always. handwritten unless your penmanship is REALLY bad. regardless of whether or not you think it'll help, SEND A THANK YOU NOTE!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
why handwritten? i typed mine for my columbia interview. still haven't sent it out yet though

Everyone who sent a thank-you note last year after Columbia interviews got a letter from Dean Frantz. Not all of them had the "keeping you strongly in mind" phrasing. In my experience, and for others (as I recall), that phrasing was very predictive of eventual acceptance. :)

I second Sweet Tea's advice to always send than-you notes (unless the school specifically requests that you do not. There are a few, but I forget which). It's simply good manners. :)

Veilside, didn't your Mom teach you that thank-you notes should be handwritten, and should never start with the words thank-you? ;) And don't even think about email!! :eek:

is it franz or frantz?

Cool...my friend got the letter from Dean Frantz. She heard he handpicks his class? It had the "we will keep you strongly in mind" thing too. :)

-RA

Originally posted by SMW
Veilside, didn't your Mom teach you that thank-you notes should be handwritten, and should never start with the words thank-you? And don't even think about email!! :eek:

In some cases, people expect thank you letters to be like a formal letter, with your address, full block style, the whole 9...

Once I wrote a thank you letter for someone who sponsored a scholarship. I picked out a cool card and handwrote it. I gave it to the scholarship office, and they told me it was really nice, but they expect a formal letter. Go figure.