Columbia University AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CALALILY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a possible opportunity of joining the AEGD program at Columbia University. Does anyone know about this program? After a 2-year completion, one is granted a degree - is that valid for practicing as a Dentist in the US? (I am an internationally-qualified dentist).

Are there any students currently in the program or anyone who has gone through this program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Calalily.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

C'mon.. someone please help. I know that there must be at least one individual out there that can help in this matter. Please...

C'mon.. someone please help. I know that there must be at least one individual out there that can help in this matter. Please...

You do not get a degree by finishing the AEGD. You do get a certificate. This will not help you as a FTD to obtain a license.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not get a degree by finishing the AEGD. You do get a certificate. This will not help you as a FTD to obtain a license.

Actually it will. 16-18 US states will grant a FTD with either a 2yr CODA accredited GPR or AEGD certificate a dental license.

I have a possible opportunity of joining the AEGD program at Columbia University.

After a 2-year completion, one is granted a degree - is that valid for practicing as a Dentist in the US? (I am an internationally-qualified dentist).

Yes, go for it. It should be a good program and will provide you an opportunity to obtain a license in some areas of the US. Good luck

Last edited:
Shabu and Dr. Millie :) Thankyou both for your replies.

Applogies Shabu - I meant that its a certification program. Also, you seem to be from Columbia.. have you heard anythign about this program - how it is? how wellit is conducted? is there a lot of clinical work or more theoretical? hospital practice?

Dr. Millie - yes, you are right. I looked at the state requirements and there are about 14 states in the USA that will accept this program (AEGD) when oneis a FTD and thus allow them to get licensed. I am not sure whether its a good idea though to go for it instead of trying for the international dental program - as the latter program allows one to be qualified in all 56 states, but the former allowes one to be certified in only a few states. However, in the meanwhile, I am calling the state boards and asking if the rules/regualtions have changed.
Also, would you know anything about the Q's I asked above (ie: the program itself at Columbia?)

Best Wishes and Thanking You.
calalily.. :)

there are about 14 states in the USA that will accept this program (AEGD) when oneis a FTD and thus allow them to get licensed. I am not sure whether its a good idea though to go for it instead of trying for the international dental program - as the latter program allows one to be qualified in all 56 states, but the former allowes one to be certified in only a few states.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to both options. Also, it depends on where you went to dental school and what sort of experience you have. ...meaning.. If you choose an AEGD or GPR, you will be given more responsibility also (less oversight and guidance than in dental school and more complex work required so you better be ready for it). Only choose this option if you feel confident enough in your abilities and if you have been trained in a system similar to the US. If you have come from an area much different from the US or if you have been out of practice for any length of time.. I would probably opt for the IDP program.

Choose the option best for you.

Last edited:
I looked at the state requirements and there are about 14 states in the USA that will accept this program (AEGD) when oneis a FTD and thus allow them to get licensed.

Do you know which states will accept program?

Greetings!

Do you know which states will accept program?

Greetings!

Hi Unident,

You have to call the state boards and explain to them what you have done and what you are doing. They will then inform you whether you are eligible for licensing or not.

You can start by looking at this website - it give you links to the boards directly as well as all their contact information and what their rules and regulations are regarding FTDs: http://www.dentalwatch.org/org/boards.html

Best Wishes.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to both options. Also, it depends on where you went to dental school and what sort of experience you have. ...meaning.. If you choose an AEGD or GPR, you will be given more responsibility also (less oversight and guidance than in dental school and more complex work required so you better be ready for it). Only choose this option if you feel confident enough in your abilities and if you have been trained in a system similar to the US. If you have come from an area much different from the US or if you have been out of practice for any length of time.. I would probably opt for the IDP program.

Choose the option best for you.

Hi Dr. Milli

Thanks for your responses again! :)

Do you know about Columbia's AEGD program - how good is it (or bad for that matter), teaching quality, clinical time vs. lecture times etc etc?

Does anyone have any info regarding Columbia's AEGD.

Best Wishes and Many Thanks..

Hi Dr. Milli

Thanks for your responses again! :)

Do you know about Columbia's AEGD program - how good is it (or bad for that matter), teaching quality, clinical time vs. lecture times etc etc?

Does anyone have any info regarding Columbia's AEGD.

Best Wishes and Many Thanks..

I am not personally familiar with this program. Sorry.

Why don't you just email or call the department and just tell them you are an applicant for the AEGD and that you would like to know if they can put you in contact with a current resident. :thumbup: