Columbia vs. Michigan vs. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boygeniusmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that a lot of you are in a similar boat and trying to decide just where to spend your next couple of years. I've been leaning towards Columbia (and have sent in my deposit) but I got into the Epi and Policy Programs at Mich. and the Interdepartmental concen. (Global Health). Also, UCLA comes into the mix because of tuition (I go to Cal). So now I have to look things over once again. Any suggestions? Also, what's it like living in New York? I've heard good things, but haven't been able to find time and check it out. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I know that a lot of you are in a similar boat and trying to decide just where to spend your next couple of years. I've been leaning towards Columbia (and have sent in my deposit) but I got into the Epi and Policy Programs at Mich. and the Interdepartmental concen. (Global Health). Also, UCLA comes into the mix because of tuition (I go to Cal). So now I have to look things over once again. Any suggestions? Also, what's it like living in New York? I've heard good things, but haven't been able to find time and check it out. Thanks for your help.

Congrats! I am going to assume you are going into Epi at Columbia. I would suggest you stick with your current decision at the moment. Columbia has a very strong Epi and Biostats department, it's rigorous and will give you a very strong background. Also, as far as location goes I think you will be better off at either Columbia or UCLA. However, New York has many consulting firms on top of a local health department that runs on a state level. There is plenty of part-time work opportunity in New York to boot as well. If you will be living in Columbia housing uptown it's very nice and you can't go wrong experiencing life here in NY. Good luck!

Congrats on the acceptances! You really can't go wrong with any of the schools you have been accepted to as they are all very strong schools with great reputations..

Columbia is great, it sits uptown on the island and is closer to Spanish Harlem, which isn't bad..AgentSik is right, there are great connections to many corporations and a great health department close by. There have been some critisisms of Columbia on this forum which include the "unhappiness of the students", "lack of direction for students", and "lack of guides for career development". I don't know if they have fixed some of these main critisms, but nevertheless Columbia is a world reknowned program and you would be getting a great education there.

Michigan, another great program..they're reknowned for their Health Mangement and Policy program..big program, lots of money and very well known faculty members. This school has lots of history with Jonas Salk once being a member of the School of Public Health faculty and it was the home to the first tests of the polio vaccine and also the place where both BlueShield Insurance and Flu-Mist were developed...the main problems I could see with going to UMich would be that it is in a smaller town and the tuition is a bit more expensive than Columbia or UCLA. (especially UCLA) Otherwise, I think a lot of this has to do with whether you want to be in a big city or not..

I don't have too much of an opinion on UCLA, but I know it's a great school and you can't beat instate tuition either..

Good luck on your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey boygeniusmd,
Are you going to Columbia? I will be joining the Epi/Global health track at Columbia...and I've heard its a pretty good one!
LEt me know what you decide?

Hey all...

I'll be going to Columbia this fall for their Health Policy and Management prog...whooo!

:)