Columbia vs. NYEEI, which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can anyone tell me about Columbia (NY) and/or New York Eye and Ear and which is better or worse and why? Thanks I really appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about it, but my advisor said that Columbia is better. I also know that Columbia/Harkness got an "honorable mention" in this year's Ophthalmology Times rankings article.

This is completely hearsay (I haven't visited either program or talked to anyone actually there currently), but I've heard that the residents at NYEEI aren't very happy. Having said that, I think NYEEI is considered a "top tier" hospital (I think it was listed in the USNews).

Members don't see this ad :)
From a retina point of view, both are very good. If I had to choose though, I would definitely say that there are more big names at Columbia & that it was better.

Where would you put NYU-MEETH compared to Columbia and NYEEI?

Columbia is a little bit more competitive and cozier as it has three residents compared to NYEEI's 7. The lectures by clinical faculty are excellent. They will take medical students aside and teach them. I didn't get to see the wet lab, where residents practice on enucleated pig eyes, their sutures and procedures. Residents rotate between Harkness and Harlem, so there is somewhat of a commute during that rotation. The patient population in clinic is mostly Dominican so learning Spanish is essential. During call, the ER works up patients before calling residents.

NYEEI has lots of volume, so if you are interested in seeing crazy pathology and getting your surgical numbers, you will likely get the chance. It is larger than Columbia. The wetlab is pretty amazing. You will be busy- there is Saturday morning clinic and residents tend to get out later than at Columbia, but weekday call is on a night float system unlike Columbia where you are on call all night. Patients come to the ER at NYEEI so residents work them up from the start. You remain at NYEEI for all 3 y except for consults which is at Beth Israel, 2 blocks away from the hospital. The patient population in clinic comes from all over the tri-state area so it is in some ways more diverse than Columbia's. The attendings are nice, but very busy so it can be a challenge, at least for a medical student to grab their attention. The best time to get to know them was in the OR. There are stars at NYEEI also, ie. Rob Ritch who basically wrote the book on glaucoma.

No matter where you go, getting research done is difficult given the workload. I have met certain residents unhappy at both. I seem to recall NYEEI was ranked higher on USNWR prior to this year, when Columbia shot up to 9th place. I think NYEEI is in 11th. Both are excellent programs. Good luck with your choice, I think it depends on what you are looking for in your residency.