Columbia vs. NYU vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sindiim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have been accepted to all of these three schools, which one would you choose? I have been accepted to only one of these schools, but I have an interview lined up at the other two in January and February, and I am hoping to get in both of them :)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering between Stony Brook and NYU too, both of which I've been accepted to. Obviously the price pays a factor, however I'd be saving by living at home if I go to NYU.... what worries me is the clinical exposure I can get at SB as opposed to NYU or even Columbia for that matter (and of course other various factors...)

I'm considering between Stony Brook and NYU too, both of which I've been accepted to. Obviously the price pays a factor, however I'd be saving by living at home if I go to NYU.... what worries me is the clinical exposure I can get at SB as opposed to NYU or even Columbia for that matter (and of course other various factors...)

i'm deciding between stony and nyu too and am having such a tough time! i'm leaning toward nyu tho... hope it wont be the wrong decision

Members don't see this ad :)
I am deciding among columbia, nyu and buffalo. As a ny resident, I know buffalo is cheaper than the others, but I am really seriously cautious to decide to go there. I have my family in nyc and one of the buffalo students told me that it is really cold there...and he would go back to his state when he graduate. And between columbia and nyu...I don't know....I am kind of old non-traditional student, so I don't want to study vigorously with medical students...and want to be exposured more clinical experiences...I would think myself to flow to nyu in my case...location...and clinical experience...
But, anyone who knows which one is better to specialize?

I am deciding among columbia, nyu and buffalo. As a ny resident, I know buffalo is cheaper than the others, but I am really seriously cautious to decide to go there. I have my family in nyc and one of the buffalo students told me that it is really cold there...and he would go back to his state when he graduate. And between columbia and nyu...I don't know....I am kind of old non-traditional student, so I don't want to study vigorously with medical students...and want to be exposured more clinical experiences...I would think myself to flow to nyu in my case...location...and clinical experience...

For some reason I don't hear such good things from Columbia students.
As for Buffalo as well as stony brook, both are soo hard to get in to, whereas it seems everyone gets into NYU. And it's def cold in Buffalo, but I don't know if thats a reason not to go there.
However, I'd say the clinical experience at NYU is top notch. I mean it's the city.

Pick where ever you feel comfortable. 'Nuff said.

Columbia is with med students?

What do they have that's pass or fail?

As for specializing, Columbia has a ridiculous percentage of students that specialize, so I think in that regard, they take the cake, at least versus NYU.

I've heard Columbia lacks in clinical and is much more didactic too. Is this true?

pbure: What have you heard bad about Columbia, and what do you think is so great about the clinicals at NYU?

Sorry for all the added questions, but I'm deciding too, right now between UMDNJ and NYU. I didn't get into Columbia, but I do have an interview in January, so there's always a chance.

stony brook sucks. no social life for 4 years...get ready for depression

This is pretty comical.

As for clinic, i havent been there yet but what i hear from upperclassmen is that you already start seeing your own patients towards the beginning of 2nd year and there is a surplus of patients. Stonybrook only has a class size of 40 so they only need about 1/10 the amount of patients as NYU, as NYU has a class size that reaches roughly 400. You also never struggle for professor time, because the faculty student ratio is so low so not only do you have more than enough patients you have the proper guidance required to become a superior dentist too.

p/f is great. nobody is stressing to get a A or B and fighting for those little points just to bump up a letter grade.
everybody just studies the best they can and if they pass with a 90 or a 70 it's the same.

and before that guy comes and bashes columbia about their h/p/f system, not everybody goes for honors so there isnt any competition.

the surrounding area is really dead. it is a middle class residential area.

Every class is p/f at Columbia?

What's the living situation at Columbia? Since there's minimum housing, where do you live?

how far do u live from ny? if you live far away, you wont have problems getting housing.

even if you live in nyc, housing shouldn't be a problem. columbia housing is weird, they will waitlist you, but there are apartments available to you. you'll be able to get on campus without any problems.