Columbia VS. NYU w/ scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aac362

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thread name pretty much sums it up. Recently received an email from NYU with annual scholarship for 20k as long as I maintain a 3.3 GPA. Problem is I already put down a deposit for Columbia and was pretty much set on going there. I would save appx. 64K over the next four years if i went to NYU. Not sure of what to do at this point.

A little info about myself:

-Interested in specializing
-NYC resident (would live at home)
-NYU for undergrad. (Hated it)
-would need to take Biochemistry in the Spring prior to matriculation at Columbia
-columbia did mention opportunity of need based aid?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks alot!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in specializing, then you will need at least a 3.3 GPA to get into whatever specialty you want, so maintaining a B+ shouldn't factor into the decision. Which school did you enjoy more? For most people, $64k is not a small amount of money. I would use the savings towards purchasing a practice in the future. With interest, that $64k could actually be worth closer to $80k. I would go to NYU, but if you think you would be happier at Columbia and the savings doesn't matter much, then go to Columbia. Best of luck either way and congrats on the acceptances

I ditto feralis.

You have a way higher chance of specializing at columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the 2014 ADEA guide, the projected costs of Columbia were 380k and NYU were 450k. Now, these are rough estimates but even you did go to NYU with the scholarship and you save 64k, you'd have less chances to specialize, you'd be in a class of 350+ (do you really just want to be a number?), and there's less prestige (if that matters to you).

I'd def go with Columbia

I'm assuming you will live at home attending either school so tuition and fees is what he needs to worry about, and the difference with the scholarship is roughly 65K like he said. Normally I'd say go with the lower cost school, but that 20K/year isn't a guarantee so if you end up not hitting that 3.3, Columbia will cost less by about 15K. Tough decision but I think in your case I'd go with Columbia.

Based on the 2014 ADEA guide, the projected costs of Columbia were 380k and NYU were 450k. Now, these are rough estimates but even you did go to NYU with the scholarship and you save 64k, you'd have less chances to specialize, you'd be in a class of 350+ (do you really just want to be a number?), and there's less prestige (if that matters to you).

I'd def go with Columbia
I'm assuming you will live at home attending either school so tuition and fees is what he needs to worry about, and the difference with the scholarship is roughly 65K like he said. Normally I'd say go with the lower cost school, but that 20K/year isn't a guarantee so if you end up not hitting that 3.3, Columbia will cost less by about 15K. Tough decision but I think in your case I'd go with Columbia.

OP saves 100k + by living at home. Subtract the $157,836 (Total Estimated Living Expenses) from Total Cost of Attendance ($488,744) to get TOTAL Educational Expenses ($330,908). Throw in the 64k scholarship and OP pays $266,908. Good deal happy meal! Go to NYU!

Source: NYU Interview's Estimated 2016-17 Tuition, Fees and Expenses sheet.

OP saves 100k + by living at home. Subtract the $157,836 (Total Estimated Living Expenses) from Total Cost of Attendance ($488,744) to get TOTAL Educational Expenses ($330,908). Throw in the 64k scholarship and OP pays $266,908. Good deal happy meal! Go to NYU!

Source: NYU Interview's Estimated 2016-17 Tuition, Fees and Expenses sheet.
OP is getting 20k per year in scholarships so it should total to 80k. Thus, I think he totaled in the living costs, scholarship, etc. when he said he "would save appx. 64k over the next four years".

You need a 3.3GPA? It was 3.0 GPA last year.

WoW! I wasn't sure if anyone would respond to this. Thanks so much for your input. In response to some of your comments

-I did the math using the COE sheets they gave at the interview. For NYU, the cost were appx 83K for a student living at home and 79K at Columbia. Over four years, that totaled to 330, 908K ( as MRZ8 stated) minus 80K would come out to 250k. Columbia would cost me 314k, the difference should be around 64K.

During the whole admission process I was told to pick the cheaper school and looking at the #'s NYU is the clear winner but it's also not a guarantee. While NYU does have amazing facilities, I did have the experience of feeling like just another number during my undergrad days. Columbia offered me everything I could ever want in a dental school, and I would feel more secure about specializing there. I think I'm gonna stick with columbia!

Thanks again. Good Luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think anyone said columbia is H/P/F grading. This is such an easy decision.

Reactions: 3 users