Columbia vs. Rutgers (OOS) vs. Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Barring additional acceptances to my instate (NY) programs and removing my safety school, this is what I've got. Quite simply, I need some reassurance that choosing the cheapest school is the best decision in light of acceptances to three very different programs. I am applying to HPSP programs at the moment and am hopeful but no guarantees so I can't really bet on this. I also don't mind the commutes as long as I'm driving (i.e. no public transport) and can listen to Podcasts or music. I have interest in specializing after the military but could see myself happy as a general dentist if that doesn't work out.

• Columbia
    • + Great specialization rates
    • - Not exactly crazy about integration with med school since I want to get to doing dentistry. I don't know if I'll like the first 2 years.
    • - Less clinical skills development compared to other schools
    • + Lots of research opportunities
    • - Very expensive. ~$500k. Probably not readily manageable without HPSP or specializing from what I read.
    • + Prestige (Not too important to me. Just knowing I got accepted is good enough for me)
    • - Even pre-pandemic, I've never been to crazy of "city life"
    • + Liked the people I met in the virtual interview day. Seemed very driven and passionate about dentistry.
    • COMMENT: Supposedly the lack of ranking might make it easier to specialize. But is it really easier or are we just seeing selection bias with certain types of students choosing to go here?
  • Rutgers
    • + Great clinical education
    • + I liked the faculty
    • + Lots of service opportunities including overseas opportunities
    • - ~$400k if I commute from home in NY. It's about 1.5 hrs but traffic in the city is fickle. Still much cheaper than Columbia.
    • + CODE Sites where a limited number of 4th years spend their year at community health sites. Cool concept. But I guess a GPR or AEGD can prepare me for independent practice too.
  • Touro
    • + Nice facilities
    • + Students and faculty seemed happy when I went there
    • + ~$330k if I commute from home. It's about 35min - 1 hr. That's the sweet spot for me. And even without HPSP, this falls below my "soft" limit of $350k.
    • - Less well known so getting into competitive or popular residencies might be more challenging.
    • + 94% boards pass rates last I checked so clearly students are well prepared
    • + No residency programs so more exposure to complicated cases.
    • + Gave me a free face mask
From cost alone, Touro is great. There isn't any major negative aspects off the top of my head so if anyone has any bad stuff about Touro they'd like to share, that'd be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Barring additional acceptances to my instate (NY) programs and removing my safety school, this is what I've got. Quite simply, I need some reassurance that choosing the cheapest school is the best decision in light of acceptances to three very different programs. I am applying to HPSP programs at the moment and am hopeful but no guarantees so I can't really bet on this. I also don't mind the commutes as long as I'm driving (i.e. no public transport) and can listen to Podcasts or music. I have interest in specializing after the military but could see myself happy as a general dentist if that doesn't work out.

• Columbia
    • - Not exactly crazy about integration with med school since I want to get to doing dentistry. I don't know if I'll like the first 2 years.
    • - Very expensive. ~$500k. Probably not readily manageable without HPSP or specializing from what I read.
    • + Prestige (Not too important to me. Just knowing I got accepted is good enough for me)
    • COMMENT: Supposedly the lack of ranking might make it easier to specialize. But is it really easier or are we just seeing selection bias with certain types of students choosing to go here?
  • Rutgers
    • + I liked the faculty
    • - ~$400k if I commute from home in NY. It's about 1.5 hrs but traffic in the city is fickle. Still much cheaper than Columbia.
    • + CODE Sites where a limited number of 4th years spend their year at community health sites. Cool concept. But I guess a GPR or AEGD can prepare me for independent practice too.
  • Touro
    • + Nice facilities
    • + ~$330k if I commute from home. It's about 35min - 1 hr. That's the sweet spot for me. And even without HPSP, this falls below my "soft" limit of $350k.
    • - Less well known so getting into competitive or popular residencies might be more challenging.
From cost alone, Touro is great. There isn't any major negative aspects off the top of my head so if anyone has any bad stuff about Touro they'd like to share, that'd be appreciated.
1.5 hours each way commute?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea. Definitely on the higher end.
that would be outright dangerous in bad weather and when you are tired
you will be spending late nights in lab your first 2 years in d school, and sometimes weekends too
you will be limited in your study groups and cram sessions too

Reactions: 1 users

• Columbia
    • + Liked the people I met in the virtual interview day. Seemed very driven and passionate about dentistry.
  • Rutgers
    • + I liked the faculty
  • Touro
    • + Nice facilities
I’m a D4 at Rutgers. DM me so we can talk. I see multiple flaws in this whole thing that I want to discuss with you.

Like I said on another post, patients were canceled due to the snow, so I'll pass on some advice from someone finishing school.

Columbia

- Specializing depends on YOU, not the school. I cannot emphasize that enough. Please, please, do not chose a dental school to specialize. Let's use an example, Rutgers is going to match 4/4 to OMFS this year. Columbia will probably match like 30/35. Which is better? It's apples to oranges. Don't pay a school extra money because you think they are going to somehow help you do the necessary work to get into a speciality.

- Intergrating to med school is great if you want OMS. If they do small learning groups, that could be nice too even if you don't want OMS. But yeah, you are going to be pounded with a lot of non-dental stuff.

- Don't worry about clinical skills too much. All schools train you to a ridiculously low degree. You'll catch up quickly.

- Why do people care about research? Maybe if you're trying for Ortho it makes sense.

- SUPER EXPENSIVE. That should be your first bullet point. Don't you dare tell yourself "I'm going to specialize, so the debt will be fine".

- It does feel good to be liked by a school. But that prestige isn't taking you anywhere the day you leave the clinic.

- Washington Heights is a cool place, not the crazy city life of Manhattan. I wouldn't sweat that.

- The people during interview days are hand picked by the administration, so I'd be a little skeptical.

- Correct. No rank makes specializing tricky. Everyone going to Columbia wants to specialize which also makes it tricky. This is why I don't think these schools help students specializing.

Rutgers
  • + I liked the faculty

- Yes, clinical requirements at Rutgers are more than most schools, but that means you'll be sweating as a D4 trying to finish everything. Also, no school has great clinical experience. They are all mediocre at best. Your real learning happens after school.

- Some faculty are cool, some aren't. You only met a small fraction. In the end, it probably doesn't matter too much.

- The service opportunities are an Admission selling point. Very very few students get the chance to go.

- You cannot commute 1.5 hours. Absolutely not. People who have tried have either dropped out or found apartments mid semester. Get an apartment in Newark for $800/month, and get 3 years of in-state tuition!

- CODE is amazing. Basically a GPR year build into D4.

Touro
  • + Nice facilities

- Heard they are pretty new, so that's cool, but it shouldn't affect your decision much.

- Heard decent things from students.

- That's still hella far and I definitely would NOT recommend commuting that much.

- I met people on interview trail from Touro. School won't matter for specializing.

- Most schools are at 95%+ for boards. It shouldn't be a deciding factor.

- I would ask students whether that is ACTUALLY true or not. Even if it's true, you learn so little in dental school compared to GPR or working that experience during dental school really doesn't make a huge difference.

My verdict: Compare the total cost of living between Touro (with an apartment) and Rutgers (with an apartment and 3 years in-state tuition). Pick the cheaper option. Both are fine schools. Don't kill yourself with the commute. If you find it manageable after the first year or two, then move back with your family.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a bunch for the detailed response.

Columbia
- Specializing depends on YOU, not the school. I cannot emphasize that enough. Please, please, do not chose a dental school to specialize. Let's use an example, Rutgers is going to match 4/4 to OMFS this year. Columbia will probably match like 30/35. Which is better? It's apples to oranges. Don't pay a school extra money because you think they are going to somehow help you do the necessary work to get into a speciality.
- Intergrating to med school is great if you want OMS. If they do small learning groups, that could be nice too even if you don't want OMS. But yeah, you are going to be pounded with a lot of non-dental stuff.
- Correct. No rank makes specializing tricky. Everyone going to Columbia wants to specialize which also makes it tricky. This is why I don't think these schools help students specializing.
I see your points. Even with HPSP, I'm not too excited about Columbia since I don't plan to pursue OMS. You're right, I was betting too much on name recognition. They did say half the class goes on directly to specialty programs while the rest are mostly in GPR/AEGD programs. I couldn't find any numbers but I'd be curious what percentage of the students going to GPR/AEGD programs intended to apply to specialty programs later and how many succeed. I'd hate to be saddled with $500k especially as a general dentist. Even if I want to specialize, it's a scary prospect.

Rutgers
- You cannot commute 1.5 hours. Absolutely not. People who have tried have either dropped out or found apartments mid semester. Get an apartment in Newark for $800/month, and get 3 years of in-state tuition!
- CODE is amazing. Basically a GPR year build into D4.

I'll throw the idea of commuting to Rutgers out the window. Is the $800/month number for a private apartment or shared?

Is CODE competitive to get a spot in? As in do you know on average how many people apply for the ~10 (I think it was) spots

Touro
- That's still hella far and I definitely would NOT recommend commuting that much.

- Most schools are at 95%+ for boards. It shouldn't be a deciding factor.

- I would ask students whether that is ACTUALLY true or not. Even if it's true, you learn so little in dental school compared to GPR or working that experience during dental school really doesn't make a huge difference.
Yes, I think I might at least do my first year in an apartment nearby.

I mentioned Touro's numbers not so much to say they are exemplary but to say that despite being a new programs, their students seem as well prepared as older programs so their age is not necessarily a concern to me.

Will report back once I get more info from current students.

Last edited:
that would be outright dangerous in bad weather and when you are tired
you will be spending late nights in lab your first 2 years in d school, and sometimes weekends too
you will be limited in your study groups and cram sessions too
I feel embarrassed to have said something so stupid. Commuting 1.5 hours is no longer an option.

Columbia

I see your points. Even with HPSP, I'm not too excited about Columbia since I don't plan to pursue OMS. You're right, I was betting too much on name recognition. They did say half the class goes on directly to specialty programs while the rest are mostly in GPR/AEGD programs. I couldn't find any numbers but I'd be curious what percentage of the students going to GPR/AEGD programs intended to apply to specialty programs later and how many succeed. I'd hate to be saddled with $500k especially as a general dentist. Even if I want to specialize, it's a scary prospect.

Rutgers

I'll throw the idea of commuting to Rutgers out the window. Is the $800/month number for a private apartment or shared?

Is CODE competitive to get a spot in? As in do you know on average how many people apply for the ~10 (I think it was) spots

Touro

I mentioned Touro's numbers not so much to say they are exemplary but to say that despite being a new programs, their students seem as well prepared as older programs so their age is not necessarily a concern to me.

For Rutgers

- Student dorms (180 W Market) is around $1000 in a triple or double. Upperclassmen can get singles for about $1400.

- Society Hill. $750 for quad or triple. Probably $1000 for single.

- 24 Jones has very fancy singles for like $1300 think.

- There are much cheaper places in Newark. Near NJIT, I think there are singles for like $1200

- Harrison and Jersey City are more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user

Columbia

Rutgers

Touro

9 positions in code each year. I think about 10-20 apply each year. Not guaranteed.

I feel embarrassed to have said something so stupid. Commuting 1.5 hours is no longer an option.
don't be embarrassed, it seemed like a good idea to you at the time
that's why these forums exist

Columbia

Rutgers

Touro

The specialization numbers are on there website: Statistics

I am doing GP out of Columbia and have always wanted to. It's true that you have a much easier time specializing out of CDM than say Rutgers. However if you're not excited about Columbia/it's not worth it to you then you've answered your own question.

0Mik3cho said:
I see your points. Even with HPSP, I'm not too excited about Columbia since I don't plan to pursue OMS.

If I plans to match to Columbia OMSF in future, I should join to a whatever dental school other than Columbia. This will bring more chance. Reason is that very small chance I can match to the same dental school. This is rule.

BTW, would you mind to tell me what is you final decision? Thank you in advance.