1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Columbia vs. U of Minn.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Skibum19, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Skibum19

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys

#1 Skibum19, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. topdent1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've heard the experience at Columbia is unmatched to anywhere else. MN is good too, but you can't compare a state school to an ivy league.

3. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Columbia is extremely nice and does have a large specialization rate. I posted it earlier. The sim labs are okay, but there are many who still dislike them because, well, it's technology. The senors can be bumped slightly, hand pieces are not accurate, etc.

I think regardless you'll have a good education at either school. If you're from the midwest, living in NYC for a while would be a good experience.

Do you have anyother thoughs?

4. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I think the simple answer to this question is no - if there is one thing that Columbia's program gets knocked on, it's for the lack of clinical training you get. So if you were to come out of Columbia and want to go straight into practice, I think you'd be behind the ball.

Some would argue, however, that b/c you're required to do post-grad training to get NY licensure even if you're going into general dentistry, you'll "make up" the subpar clinical training in a GPR or AEGD...

5. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    No one comes out of dental school extremely competent :laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

That's what I've heard so it seems like it's the norm to do a GPR/AEGD regardless, but wouldn't you agree that Columbia doesn't put nearly as much emphasis into their clinical training as most other schools?

7. PrincessDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, I've talked to a D4 at Columbia who honestly admitted that coming out he most likely won't have the clinical skills offered at other schools simply because it is expected that students will pursue other post grad programs. That being said, Columbia IS changing their curriculum for our entering year to help alleviate this issue.

8. Flipper405

Flipper405 "Excessive" flosser
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yeah, especially when the two students who were talking with my interview group said they have SOOO much free time 3rd and 4th years... kinda put me off a little :)

9. Skibum19

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the info so far!

#9 Skibum19, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  10. CUDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey - i'm in at both too and i'd definitely go with MN. maybe not as highly thought of as columbia, but still a respected school with plenty of opportunity for research, etc. you can definitely specialize from MN if you work hard and get involved in the right things. i really didn't like nyc though so that definitely factors in here. if you did like nyc then maybe columbia is the place for you. either way, you can't really go wrong... both are good schools, so it just depends on your preferences

11. Wax n Relax

Wax n Relax Triple Cocktail & Dreams
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Im here at the U of Minn so i might be a little biased. That being said, i dont know anything about columbia but i can tell you that minnesota has great clinical experience. Im just in my first year, but i know the curriculum. We start seeing patients late second semester of 2nd year, so 3rd and 4th year students get alot of experience in the clinics. As for oral surgery, im sure some schools have better rates of getting into residencies, but its all about how bad you want it. If you want to be an oral surgeon, work hard and do well no matter what school you are at. It would be wise to think of a plan just incase you dont actually want to do oral surgery once you start experiencing some of the things the actual oral surgeon does. I have been considering endodontics because the dentist i worked for did alot of root canals. I found these to be pretty cool, but i have not yet completed one myself. I may turn out to hate them. In that case i would be happy to be a general dentist. So in the end, weigh all your options (desire to be an oral surgeon, living situations, tution, etc.) And one last thing, i know of a couple people in my class that have chose to do armed forces scholarships with the intentions of getting into the residencies a little easier. So say if your grades arent at the top of the class, you still have a shot of being an oral surgeon through a residency within your armed forces training. Good luck and go golden gophers.

12. BadgerPreDent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    your predents profile says you were accepted to MN on September 26... this would mean that you were EDP... isn't this a binding decision? so don't you have to go to MN?