Columbia vs. UMDNJ vs. Stony Brook for Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodox Bear

Columbia Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for all you current dental students out there: I am currently applying for the upcoming 2007 cycle and my main choices are Columbia, UMDNJ, or Stony Brook. I also want to eventually get into an ortho program. I was wondering if anyone who is in these schools can tell me how they think picking any of these schools is either an advantage or disadvantage to my aspirations of being an orthodontist. Thanks so much.....

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question for all you current dental students out there: I am currently applying for the upcoming 2007 cycle and my main choices are Columbia, UMDNJ, or Stony Brook. I also want to eventually get into an ortho program. I was wondering if anyone who is in these schools can tell me how they think picking any of these schools is either an advantage or disadvantage to my aspirations of being an orthodontist. Thanks so much.....

When I went to interview at Stony Brook, I think the dean said 2 students got into ortho program this year. Columbia have more people going to speciality program

Columbia's intense curriculum will prepare you well for the national board part I's, which Columbia has consistently been one of the highest ranking schools in the country. Also, Columbia is well known for placing students into specialty programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

at the end of the day, neither columbia nor stony will get you into ortho. your board scores and class rank will. besides, i am not sure that the extra material you learn at columbia will be on the boards.

at the end of the day, neither columbia nor stony will get you into ortho. your board scores and class rank will. besides, i am not sure that the extra material you learn at columbia will be on the boards.

class rank, boards. boards and class rank. heard great things about stony brook. i do think the "extra" material leanrt at columbia helps. think about it, if you learn something in more detail, chances are you'll understand the material better so you're better prepared to answer questions in less detail....a little wordy but you know what i mean right.

class rank, boards. boards and class rank. heard great things about stony brook. i do think the "extra" material leanrt at columbia helps. think about it, if you learn something in more detail, chances are you'll understand the material better so you're better prepared to answer questions in less detail....a little wordy but you know what i mean right.

sure...but too much material does not necessarily translate to intensive (more detailed) learning. columbia will not give you more detail about the posterior triangle of the neck. what it will do is give you more upper limb stuff than what you'll ever need. what i am trying ot say is that columbia is extensive, not intensive. they cover a broader scope, they dont delve into a deeper scope.

go to harvard if you want to do ortho.

go to harvard if you want to do ortho.

Agreed.

Any school that gives you a class rank can be a disadvantage if you don't rank high. Most of the schools you listed rank you. I have heard Columbia is P/F but still keeps track of who comes out on top. Stony Brook may be strictly P/F, but I'm not sure.

Or you can go to UMDNJ and be a cheater (look up the cheating scandal of 2006).;)

Columbia ranks by quintile and it reflects how many honors a student gets(the school runs by a P/F/H system). The rough ranking will be reflected in the Dean's recommendation letter