Columbia vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drill 'n Fill

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rather than search this forum for discussions on these two schools I have decided to start a new topic. I am trying to decide which school to attend, but it is a difficult decision. The schools have some different methods, but they both seem to work. I thought it would be nice if people would add their thoughts here (what they noticed, what they like/dislike, and why). Input from applicants, students and alumni would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hi drill and fill,
Although I haven't been to Columbia (I declined their interview) I really liked U Penn when I went to their interview. They have been known to get a lot of their students into specialty programs, especially oral surgery (the dean of the school is a very well-known oral surgeon). Their pre-clinical facilities are a bit out-dated, but they are building a whole new facility that should be done by next fall (I'm not sure what it will be used for... I think some kind of patient clinic). I like the fact that the dental school has their own faculty to teach the various didactic/science courses. I heard that at Columbia, you take your classes with the med students, taught by med school professors. Also, they have a couple of "dentsim" dummies that were the first in the U.S.... they are like computerized patients that help you practice your pre-clinical skills.
Those are just my opinions about U Penn... I haven't been to Columbia so I don't know a whole lot about their school. Hope this helps though!

I was also really impressed with Penn when I interviewed there....specifically, there truly seemed to be a great relationship b/w the students and faculty. Faculty knew everyone by name, the students were unanimous in their praise of the school, I loved the fact it was on the undergrad campus, and Penn's rep. speaks for itself. In terms of 'rep,' Columbia is just as good, no better...I'll admit that I was more impressed with them than I expected to be after visiting, but I wasn't enamored with their curriculum and the fact that one student was boasting about how he "knew more about a pneumothorax than caries" for the first two yrs. Sure, it's obviously important to get a solid grounding in the medical sciences but priority numero uno should always be oral health. Also, the students at Columbia just didn't seem as laid back or comfortable, they all came across as more uptight and also a little more arrogant too...don't want to generalize too much, but that's just the impression I got. Their facilities also weren't any better and the location was much worse as there's no adjacent campus really to unwind in/escape to.....NYC is an exciting place to live though. Anyway, I'd take Columbia b/w the two....although I'm actually declining both for UNC for now...good luck deciding! :)