golfdmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey y'all, I was fortunate enough to be accepted into a few of my top choices, and I have since narrowed down my choices to Columbia and VCU. Cost is a big factor for me, but it isn't the only factor going into my decision. I am interested in specializing, but not dead set on anything. Any insights you have are much appreciated!

Columbia-
Pros:
-Integrated curriculum with med students
-World-renowned faculty
-Brand new facilities
-High specialization rates
-In NYC

Cons:
-Cost

VCU-
Pros:
-Cheaper (in-state)
-Have good connections in research dpt already
-Richmond is enjoyable
-Stronger clinical education

Cons:
-Older facilities
-Less focus on specializing (based on what current students said, couldn't find actual data though)

About the Ads

nightowl54

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If VCU is in-state, then I'd just go with that.

However, if you are really dead set on Columbia, I would research some scholarships (since Columbia doesn't give out that many) that you might be eligible for on: Scholarships.com - Free College Scholarship Search Financial Aid Grants Scholarships College Scholarship Scholarships One of our financial aid officers recommended this website to us in case we wanted to find external sources of financial aid.

If you have any questions about Columbia, feel free to message me

Reactions: 2 users

Rainbowsheep5

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Isn't VCU getting that new clinic that will be finished when we start clinic? I remember them talking a lot about that when I was there? I wrote down in my notebook that it will be done when we are D3-4 and the old building will be turn into the new research facility. Maybe one item from the cons list to the pro for VCU?

golfdmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Isn't VCU getting that new clinic that will be finished when we start clinic? I remember them talking a lot about that when I was there? I wrote down in my notebook that it will be done when we are D3-4 and the old building will be turn into the new research facility. Maybe one item from the cons list to the pro for VCU?

Good point, I think the clinic will be finished in 2022!

Reactions: 1 user

wengerout

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Reading your post I would say VCU. I paid more to go to Columbia and don't regret it but seems like you would be happy either way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users

wengerout

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Why did you choose Columbia over other schools? Are you planning on specializing?

#1 the people, and the admin. A lot of dental schools have toxic admins and I made sure to do my due diligence and cut any school that I found out treated their students poorly. In addition factors like Pass/Fail, the new clinic, alumni network, and being in NYC played their part in my decision matrix as well.

I actually want to be a GP! About half the class ends up doing GP nd I wanted to do GP before I even picked my school. I flirted with specializing briefly 1st year but IMO GP is for me because I know I want to do some unconventional things in dentistry and it allows for the most creativity in how you want to practice.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.