Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Combat sports....?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MeCord3, May 3, 2007.

1. MeCord3

Pre-Medical
    I've been doing MMA for a while now, and I'm frequently finding myself having to explain to people how I can both do that and be pre-med. Anyone else in a similar situation?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlackSails

Pre-Medical
    In terms of attitude or time? Ive been doing karate for 14 years, and never had anyone ask me that. I actually wrote an essay on that for my freshman writing class.

4. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member

Attending Physician
    What kinds of morons think there's any sort of disconnect there?

Most martial arts training it's definitely looked down upon if you actually USE it on someone, and stuff that's MEANT to be used for self defense is usually disarmament and demobilization. Most people do it for discipline and as a less useless way to exercise than running or swimming in circles.

Ridiculous.

5. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

I started a fight club but didn't list it on AMCAS because of rules #1 and #2.

6. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    Out of curiousity OP, where do you train?

I've been doing BJJ and Tang Soo Do for a number of years, and actually wrote about it in my personal statement. It all depends on how you talk about it. If, for example, you talk about fighting, obviously that's going to look bad, no matter how big your Matt Thorton shrine is at home. Most professional laymen, especially doctors, simply won't understand how beating up another person gives any sort of benefit.

Unfortunately you might have to talk about how "martial arts gave you confidence" or something equally as corny/mcdojo/bullshido for it to be minimally acceptable.

Actually when I read the thread title I was thinking it was about combatsports.com, and immediately got confused as to which forum I was on... (yay 4 Bullshido.net!).

7. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Martial arts IS fighting. Doesn't matter why you do it, whether for self defense, or the discipline, or the exercise or whatever. If you are doing martial arts, no matter what the reason, you should be learning how to fight and use those fighting skills to achieve whatever purpose you have.

Unfortunately, like I said, this doesn't go over well with laymen, there's still a significant amount of people who will think about two skinheads fighting in a cage when you say "UFC", so there's the disconnect.

8. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

9. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Sherdog > Bullshido

... at least if you like reading posts like "UFC PWNS PRIDE L0L HAHA L:OSRS," all day.

10. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm confused, do mean "unless you like"?

Sherdog is great, but I tend to have more fun at Bullshido...

11. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    No. It was sarcasm.

But I did read in the other thread your brain is fried, so I forgive your inability to pick it up. Or maybe I just suck at sarcasm :thumbup:

12. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha. I have bits of LB agar solidifying in my head. I suppose I could autoclave myself to make it liquid again, but apparently there's problems with that quick fix.

13. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Haha.

OT: You leaning towards SB or Houston? Just wondering, since I go to SB (lowly UG, of course).

14. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd have to say leaning towards Houston. But my sig other is at SB Med so it's making my decision difficult.

15. dannylee718

dannylee718 The Village Idiot

Resident [Any Field]
    So, eternalrage, you like BJJs? Sounds like sum1 got some kinky fetishes in here.

Jp. BJJ is some deadly crap. While I was doing Judo, I did some ground training with a dude from the Gracie Camp. The mofo almost broke my arm (or at least it felt like it). So I tapped the hell out.

In case you guys don't know what BJJ stands for, it means Blow Job Job.

Like I always say though, "those who know how to break the body are the best at un-breaking it".

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Heather Graham called. She wants her skit back.

SNAP or TAP or TAKE A NAP!

Or Basically Just Judo. : (

:confused:
    Are you saying I have natural healing powers?!?

18. MeCord3

Pre-Medical
    I'm in NYC. I've done some traditional japanese and chinese martial arts since I was 5. But in more recent years I started doing Thai and BJJ (after getting my a$$ kicked in my first few MMA matches and realizing that I seriously need to up my game).

19. VivaPortugal

Medical Student
    I had to deal with the same thing in lots of interviews. I've been doing MMA since I was 16 or so (first match when i was 18). I've focused mainly on Muay Thai, but also trained in BJJ (actually, my academy in Ludlow, MA is where Gabriel Gonzaga trains...GOGOGO GONZAGA BEAT COUTURE).

Anyway, I started a BJJ club at my undergrad and mostly talked about BJJ in my interviews. Its alot easier justifying a wrestling-like, technical, "thinking-man's" style to your interviewer than one where you just try to repeated knee your opponent in the face.

20. MeCord3

Pre-Medical
    I'm still reeling from the fact that Gonzaga beat Cro Cop, and with a kick to the head...un-f***ing believable. But I'd hate to see Couture taken down, I'm a Captain America fan all the way!

I've actually found MMA to be ripe for conversation at a lot of my interviews. And interestingly, I was accepted to every school in which I talked about it during the interview(s). One of my interviewers was even wearing a UFC t-shirt!

21. dannylee718

dannylee718 The Village Idiot

Resident [Any Field]
    OMG

22. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Lot of crazy upsets...

At this rate, we might see Rampage take down Liddel...

23. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    whoops, you just broke rule #1

24. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Martial arts came up alot in my interviews too.

One of my interviewers at Houston was like "Brazilian JiuJitsu? The Brazililans have their own kind?"

Another at Dallas was like "I always get confused, can you tell me all the names of all the martial arts styles and where they come from and how you categorize them."

:eek:

25. blasterx

Liddell is going to destroy Rampage. Did you see the first fight between them in Pride? Liddell looked like a scared little girl. Pride uses different rules than UFC and they don't use a cage. This fight Chuck has the home advantage. He knows how to work the cage to his advantage. I think he'll pull out the win.

And yeah, it was so ironic that Cro-Cop was taken down by a high kick. I was looking forward to a Couture/Cro-Cop fight.

26. Guyster

It's already happened once.....

27. boulux

boulux Member

:D

28. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah but like blaster said, I'd probably give Liddel the advantage...

29. MeCord3

Pre-Medical
    I'd agree. Anyone who can score a knockout while backing up is definately a force to be reckoned with. On top of that, this is the last of his defeats that Liddell has left to avenge, I'm sure he'll be working extra hard for this fight.

As a side note, how seriously crappy was UFC 70? Especially the Silva vs Kongo fight! For a brown belt in BJJ Silva was amazingly incompetent on the ground.

One last thought....how awesome would it be to be a UFC ring-side physician?!