This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted827260

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do it the old fashioned way, unless there's proof that the combined course is equally as beneficial with no disadvantages.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Its probably more efficient actually. The first 1-2 weeks of biochem are just a review of organic chemistry anyway (have to learn all the macromolecules and hydrolysis reactions).

Members don't see this ad :)
^doubt it. The 1/2 of Ochem 1 will be on hydrocarbon minus fat, which is as useless for both the MCAT and biochem as it can get.

Q: Has anyone taken this combined Biochemistry1+Organic chem1+lab and Biochemistry2+Organic chem2+lab sequence?

Background: My university is adopting it for the first time next semester and told us that other universities already have this kind of course. The other alternative would be Organic 1(no lab offered at university), organic 2+lab, then biochem 1.
This is going to be a nightmare for AMCAS and satisfying school requirements. Do you have the option to do the normal style and pick up Ochem 1 lab at a different place?

As far as taking Orgo & Biochem at the same time content-wise, I did this and found it really helpful for integrating concepts from both. But I had them as 2 separate courses and had to get a waiver to do that, since Orgo is the pre-req for Biochem.

Taking them as a combined course though... I wouldn't do that. @efle is right, it would be a pain for satisfying med school pre-reqs.

if the admissions saw that my school didn't offer Ochem 1 lab then I wouldn't have to do it.
Where did you get this impression?? I have never heard of prereqs being waived because you attended a program that was missing some

Yes, I have the option but I would have to take the lab over summer at a university near my home. I was under the impression that if the admissions saw that my school didn't offer Ochem 1 lab then I wouldn't have to do it.
My school only offered a 2 credit Ochem lab that most students took alongside Ochem 2. However, it supposedly covered topics from both Ochem 1 and 2.

My school only offered a 2 credit Ochem lab that most students took alongside Ochem 2. However, it supposedly covered topics from both Ochem 1 and 2.
+1 all you need is 2 credits of ochem lab for most medical schools. They do not need to be separate labs.

Reactions: 1 user