Combined Family-Emergency Medicine Residency in the Works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are there any other programs other than christiana care that has a combined fp-ed program?

Members don't see this ad :)
christiana is the first allopathic to announce this. remember this just got approved so now its wait and see who starts a combined program. a survey by the aafp before they were going to consider this showed about 60 programs were interested in starting this. well see what happens. im excited about it, but wish they were already up and running!

don't they already have the IM/EM program? I remember a classmate going there for that. Probably the best bet to evaluate what the new FM/EM program would look.

Whoever finishes such a program should decide before which route they want to do most.

The important part of the FP/ER program is the trauma experience a candidate would get. However, if you don't work in the ER frequently you lose the trauma skills.

I think the candidate should really think about what they want to be most. It's a great idea to be able to do both and to have a dual board certification.

erichaj said:
Whoever finishes such a program should decide before which route they want to do most.

The important part of the FP/ER program is the trauma experience a candidate would get. However, if you don't work in the ER frequently you lose the trauma skills.

I think the candidate should really think about what they want to be most. It's a great idea to be able to do both and to have a dual board certification.

why couldn't someone do 2 eight hr er shifts and 2 8 hr fp shifts/week with this dual cert? as long as they saw enough pts they should be able to keep the skills up in both, yes?
then if they decide at age 60 they want to stop working in the ed and just work outpt fp they would be in the right position to do just that.....no more nights at 60 sounds really nice to me at this point......
of course a single boarded em doc could just do urgent care at 60 but that's really just "er light"-you still get the drug seekers, etc that you don't see as much in a private fee for service primary care practice.....

emedpa said:
why couldn't someone do 2 eight hr er shifts and 2 8 hr fp shifts/week with this dual cert? as long as they saw enough pts they should be able to keep the skills up in both, yes?

How many FPs are working 8 hour "shifts"? Seems to me most Family Physicians are working office hours and then maybe taking some call. I wouldn't want a doc as my PCP who only had office hours 2 days/week. Most FP's who are working shifts are probably doing more urgent care type stuff anyway.

Also, this would be contingent on finding 2 jobs flexible enough to make it work.

flynnt said:
How many FPs are working 8 hour "shifts"? Seems to me most Family Physicians are working office hours and then maybe taking some call. I wouldn't want a doc as my PCP who only had office hours 2 days/week. Most FP's who are working shifts are probably doing more urgent care type stuff anyway.

Also, this would be contingent on finding 2 jobs flexible enough to make it work.
most hmo fp docs work 8 hr shifts with an hr for lunch and no nights/weekends/holidays/call...and someone else(hospitalist) manages their inpatients......and if you worked for an hmo(say kp) you could easily arrange to work in 2 specialties. they have lots of part time docs in both depts....older guys slowing down, young moms with kids who only want to do work 2 shifts/week, etc
we have em docs in my current group who work 6 eight hr shifts/month.....

You could work in both. What I'm saying is that if you are going to do ER and want to keep your trauma skill up, then you need to work in a place where you get lots of practice in it.

There are lots of ERs that are trauma 3 and don't do much major cases. You can work in them. My post was specific for trauma.

On the other hand, FPs without any ER certifications in their residency are working trauma 3. Why would they need to do another 2 years of residency if that is all they wanted to do.

The 5 year program will help and is a great thing. Many FP's will want to work part time in a clinic and part time in an ER. It is done all the time.

I would see a doctor who is in clinic 2 days a week. Lots of doctors are in clinic 2 to 3 days a week. They limit their practice to a certain number and this way they can work part time or work in an Urgent care or ER. It is done all the time.

erichaj said:
The 5 year program will help and is a great thing. Many FP's will want to work part time in a clinic and part time in an ER. It is done all the time.

You are right in more rural places. I'm from a big city so I'm spoiled in a way.

I would see a doctor who is in clinic 2 days a week. Lots of doctors are in clinic 2 to 3 days a week.

I wouldn't. Especially not a PCP. Some docs are in surgery so they can't have clinic every day, and I get that. But for my primary physician to not be available to me 5 days/week? Forget about it. Time to find another doc.

Also, isn't part of the rationale for having EM as it's own specialty that it prevents conflicts of interest? Having the same doctor decide to admit in the ED and then make money off of caring for the patient as an inpatient could be seen as improper. Any combined FP/ER residency would seem to enable this practice.