combined FM and EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldjeeps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been hearing some rumors that in the near future there are going to be some combined FM/EM programs. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I see that there is currently one such MD program (in Delaware) and multiple DO programs (which doesn't do me any good). Anyone know of any other programs like that?

Members don't see this ad.

That's correct, the one in Delaware is the only one right now (for MD's). That being the only program, I was surprised that it did not fill all two of its positions during the initial match.

This is the first year that combined FM/EM allopathic programs were approved. I interviewed for FM/EM at Christiana (Delaware)--they told me that several other allopathic programs were trying to get approved for FM/EM but weren't able to get it in time for this year's match. Christiana didn't get final approval until December, so the FM/EM positions weren't advertised as much as they could have been (I heard that they interviewed 40 applicants overall). Next year there will definitely be more combined FM/EM allopathic programs available for the match. It's a great combination for anyone who's interested in rural medicine, disaster medicine, or international medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first year that combined FM/EM allopathic programs were approved. I interviewed for FM/EM at Christiana (Delaware)--they told me that several other allopathic programs were trying to get approved for FM/EM but weren't able to get it in time for this year's match. Christiana didn't get final approval until December, so the FM/EM positions weren't advertised as much as they could have been (I heard that they interviewed 40 applicants overall). Next year there will definitely be more combined FM/EM allopathic programs available for the match. It's a great combination for anyone who's interested in rural medicine, disaster medicine, or international medicine.

Got any idea where?

:confused: Your guess is as good as mine

:confused: Your guess is as good as mine

Any idea who might have a better idea?

I'm guessing that there is someone at the ACGME that might know, but am too big of a chicken to call or e-mail them to ask.

For the DOs
156903 St James Hosp & Health Centers - Family Practice/Emergency Med Olympia Fields IL

130763 Pontiac Osteopathic Hosp Med Center (POH) - Family Practice/Emergency Med Pontiac MI

126095 St Barnabas Hospital -Family Practice/Emergency Med Bronx NY

126148 OUCOM/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr - Family Practice/Emergency Med Dayton OH

163911 PCOM/Frankford Hospitals -Family Practice/Emergency Med Philadelphia PA

For the DOs
156903 St James Hosp & Health Centers - Family Practice/Emergency Med Olympia Fields IL

130763 Pontiac Osteopathic Hosp Med Center (POH) - Family Practice/Emergency Med Pontiac MI

126095 St Barnabas Hospital -Family Practice/Emergency Med Bronx NY

126148 OUCOM/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr - Family Practice/Emergency Med Dayton OH

163911 PCOM/Frankford Hospitals -Family Practice/Emergency Med Philadelphia PA

Which doesn't really help those of us that are MD bound.

Christiana didn't fill either of its spots in the Match, however. Maybe they'll do better next year.

Which doesn't really help those of us that are MD bound.

So in the future, perhaps all DO information should be limited to PM's and private phone calls....right? Get over yourself; this forum was created and is OWNED by a DO.

Christiana didn't fill either of its spots in the Match, however. Maybe they'll do better next year.

Unfortunately, that might cause other programs to opt out of starting up joint FM/EM programs due to a sense of perceived lack of interest.
I hope that doesn't end up being the case, especially since I think there actually is an interest out there – just limited by a lack of public awareness.

So in the future, perhaps all DO information should be limited to PM's and private phone calls....right? Get over yourself; this forum was created and is OWNED by a DO.

Apparently I inadvertently stepped on some rather sensitive toes.

Anyone know if it would be possible for a MD to match into a DO residency? I know that the other way around (DO into MD) happens frequently, but have never heard of MD into DO (and am not really sure if we would even be qualified due to our lack of OMM/OMT training).