Combined FP/ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiasky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into the FP/ER programs? Is it osteopathic only? Anyone know the pros/cons about doing the combined program?

Members don't see this ad.

There are new upcoming allopathic programs that will be 5 years. As of now the only programs are osteopathic.

just curious to know if anyone has heard whispers about where these allopathic programs may crop up? one of our student deans is a former FM chairman and says the word on the street is that one or two of these may be accepting applicants for this year's match...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think ER speciality will soon disappear as it gets taken over by FP? I have seen ERs in NY covered mostly by FP and IM... with a couple of ER simply managing the department.

yeah i've seen the format announcements. but where? where?!?!

Faebinder said:
Do you think ER speciality will soon disappear as it gets taken over by FP? I have seen ERs in NY covered mostly by FP and IM... with a couple of ER simply managing the department.

Um.....no.

The real question is whether FP will disappear as a specialty. It certainly has here at Duke.

Panda Bear said:
The real question is whether FP will disappear as a specialty. It certainly has here at Duke.

Programs fold all the time. From all appearances, Duke's program sucked, and deserved to close. This says nothing about the state of family medicine in general. If anything, it confirms the fact that training FPs to be glorified midlevels isn't the way to go.

KentW said:
Programs fold all the time. From all appearances, Duke's program sucked, and deserved to close. This says nothing about the state of family medicine in general. If anything, it confirms the fact that training FPs to be glorified midlevels isn't the way to go.

I am in 100 percent agreement, particularly because I have friends in family medicine programs that train them to a very high level.

Panda Bear said:
Um.....no.

I think what you meant to say was, "Damn, I wish I had dual board certification instead of a big fat hole on my resume."

Maybe you can transfer to a new program after you're unsuccessful at EM too. And then spend the bulk of your time badmouthing the EM residency. What a waste. You blame the program; the program blames you. No one wins. Just a bunch of f_ucking whiners. Good luck finding your "calling" at 42.

jrisley said:
I think what you meant to say was, "Damn, I wish I had dual board certification instead of a big fat hole on my resume."

Maybe you can transfer to a new program after you're unsuccessful at EM too. And then spend the bulk of your time badmouthing the EM residency. What a waste. You blame the program; the program blames you. No one wins. Just a bunch of f_ucking whiners. Good luck finding your "calling" at 42.

wow. sorry i bumped this post. this is just mean.

jrisley said:

Dude. I was successful at family medicine having honorably completed my intern year. And I don't believe I have badmouthed Duke Family Medicine at all until now, seeing that the program is closing and it just doesn't matter any more. I can hardly be accused of jumping on the bash-the-program bandwagon which was rolling along merrily on SDN and Scutwork.com during the interview season.

As far as my blaming the program or the program blaming me, you have an inflated idea of my God-like intern superpowers. As an intern, I am about as low on the totem pole at Duke as one can possibly be. I am not, repeat not, in a leadership position at Duke Family Medicine and while they make something of a fetish about asking my opinion, any suggestions I may have made, like every other resident's suggestions which contradicted the new direction of the program, were roundly ignored.

So the idea that I share part of the blame for the programs failure is ludicrous and leads me to suspect that you are, in fact, a lurker from the program who bought into the bull****.

As for finding a "calling," I don't know how I could be more clear that medicine is not a calling or a cult but just a interesting and demanding profession. Whether I liked the program or not, there are two things to keep in mind. If I hadn't switched to Emergency Medicine I would now be jumping though my ass looking for a PGY-2 spot as it is not likely that the program will retain its accredidation.

The other thing is that I originally tried to match into Emergency Medicine and only scambled here after I didn't match.

Also, no offense but why would I want dual board cerification? While I most certainly respect family medicine as as specialty (despite some joking around), even you will admit that Emergency Medicine pays a heck of a lot more so as a career goal, for me anyways, board certification in Family Medicine would be about as useful as rat turds on a wedding cake and not worth the extra two years contemplated for a combined FM/EM residency.

I have done enough Family Medicine, after all, to not want to do it as a career and to reinforce my decision to risk it all trying to match into EM, something that I actually like.

I also want to point out that I am not some anonymous assassin bad-mouthing the program from the safety of an unknown computer. It is pretty obivous who I am as there are not too many 42-year-old former Marines at Duke, much less at the family medicine program. KentW knows who I am and you could find out with minimal effort.

We are actively planning to pursue opening a combined ER/FM residency. From our faculty I hear it will be a 5 year program. We also have a PGY-2 position still open for our 3yr FM only program. I will post an update when I hear more..

Karla

Well, let me turn it around. What would keep an Emergency Physician from opening up a general practice and working as a de facto Family Physician? They certainly get training in pediatrics, OB, gyn, and everything else that distinguishes family medicine from internal medicine.

Basically a combined program would save you a year towards a board certification that you would never use...so the point would be what exactly?

From my experience, our ER residents lack continuity of care - and especially lack management of chronic disease states. Even though some pts treat it like one, the ER is not an efficient clinic.

On the other hand, FM residents rarely get the experience they need to run a level 1 trauma center by themselves.

Combining the two would improve the training in both of these areas and would produce a well rounded outpt clinic physician as well as someone qualified to manage a busy trauma center (or even the local ER).

I believe the need for this stems from the common practice of FM docs practicing in rural ERs - even moonlighting before their training is complete. I have seen scary situations that may have been averted if the physician who chose to practice Emergency medicine had actually been certified in emergency training.

I do not see the reverse however. I don't know many ER docs who moonlight in clinics or even want to. I think it appeals to people who want the core life of a family medicine doc but the option to practice quality Emergency medicine if they desire.

Panda Bear said:
What would keep an Emergency Physician from opening up a general practice and working as a de facto Family Physician?

You mean, other than the fact that they probably wouldn't be very good at it? ;)

Panda. Your personal statement is the funniest thing I've ever seen.