Combined Navy FM and Aerospace Medicine program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingfisher

Active contact
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interested:

There is a proposal up to the powers that be, for a new combined FM and Aerospace Medicine program in Pensacola. Of course it may still be shot down, but after speaking with the CO of NAMI, it sounds like it may just have a good chance at getting approved. This is how the program will work if it passes:

1. The Resident would complete the FM program in its entirety down in Pensacola.
2. After completion, start the Aerospace Medicine program while earning an MPH at the University of West Florida.
3. The transition from one program to the next would be guaranteed.

This track should get people through through the program quicker than with the current way. This, of course, wont be available this year but maybe next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know how long the total program is going to be, do you think the Navy will allow other services to compete (e.g. Air Force), do you know if they will allow continued flying during the program? I'm a pilot-physician in the AF right now but I still need to complete a residency sometime in the future. FM and Aerospace Med sounds decent. I just spoke to a guy this morning that is completing his 4th year at UTMB in Glaveston in a combined internal med/Aero residency. I think the services would especially benefit from a combined ER/Aero residency. Thoughts?

Do you know how long the total program is going to be, do you think the Navy will allow other services to compete (e.g. Air Force), do you know if they will allow continued flying during the program? I'm a pilot-physician in the AF right now but I still need to complete a residency sometime in the future. FM and Aerospace Med sounds decent. I just spoke to a guy this morning that is completing his 4th year at UTMB in Glaveston in a combined internal med/Aero residency. I think the services would especially benefit from a combined ER/Aero residency. Thoughts?
I believe the proposal would be for 4 1/2 -5 years total. I don't believe they have any plans to offer it for anyone else but Navy right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the proposal would be for 4 1/2 -5 years total. I don't believe they have any plans to offer it for anyone else but Navy right now.

However the Residency in Aerospace Medicine program is open to other services. The program is accredited for more slots than the Navy is allowing them to fill so they are using other services to fill those extra slots. I know the Navy is no longer allowing people to do RAM as their primary residency, but I don't know the policy for Air Force and Army.

However the Residency in Aerospace Medicine program is open to other services. The program is accredited for more slots than the Navy is allowing them to fill so they are using other services to fill those extra slots. I know the Navy is no longer allowing people to do RAM as their primary residency, but I don't know the policy for Air Force and Army.
True, there are other services in RAM.