Combined residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrimsonMirage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

I recently saw a combined residency program in peds/child psych/psych...TRIPLE board certification in 5 years! I was blown away and got curious about combined residencies in general.

Where can I find a list of ALL the combined residencies offered in the U.S.? Or can you guys list some program you've heard of?
THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

The ACGME is the authority on residencies (literally). They have a specific search option just for combined residency programs. It's the third link down on the left hand side. There are a crap ton of combined residency options. The hard part is figuring out what on earth you would actually do with three different licensed specialty qualifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi :)

I recently saw a combined residency program in peds/child psych/psych...TRIPLE board certification in 5 years! I was blown away and got curious about combined residencies in general.

Where can I find a list of ALL the combined residencies offered in the U.S.? Or can you guys list some program you've heard of?
THANK YOU!

Are you sure it was 5 years?

Psych is usually 4 years. Child psych is a 2 year fellowship. Some programs allow for a child psych track and you can start child psych in your 4th year, and finish in a total of 5 years (with both). I have ZERO clue how you could cut any of that and fill in enough pediatrics time to make you eligible to sit for pediatric boards.

Psych is usually 4 years. Child psych is a 2 year fellowship. Some programs allow for a child psych track and you can start child psych in your 4th year, and finish in a total of 5 years (with both). I have ZERO clue how you could cut any of that and fill in enough pediatrics time to make you eligible to sit for pediatric boards.

Just a pre-med popping in; but, yes, Triple Board residencies - Psych, Child and Adolescent Psych and Peds -- are only 5 years. [Source] [Source] [Source]

Last edited:

Yeah, I just looked at the sites for that combined program at Brown, Tufts, and Sinai... They were all five year programs. It seems there are a lot of programs are letting people combine two specialties and cut out one year of time that it would take to do a general residency + a fellowship.

question about this website:
If you look at the number of approved positions for a field and it differs from the "number of filled positions" does that mean that those spots weren't initially matched or that they are just not currently filled?

example: a program has a total of 50 approved positions but only has 43 filled positions (added up through all pgy years).

You have to keep in mind that not all residency programs fill up each year (even the most competitive specialties have unfilled spots at times). That and some residents switch residencies after their first year. Those two reasons can lead to having less than the max amount of filled positions.