Combined residency and fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tv1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some medicine programs offer "combined" residency and fellowship-- and subsequently knock off 1yr or so of postgrad training... I'm not really talking about med/peds for dual residency, but residency and fellowship... for example, Tulane offers a combined IntMed/HemeOnc track for 5 yrs instead of 6.

Are there any/many other programs that offer this? I would be really interested to know which ones they are, and also how this all works... is it done outside the match??

thanks so much for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I know very few programs that have combined GI and Int. Medicine (e.g., U of Pitt). I don;t know other subspecialities.

tv1 said:
I've heard that some medicine programs offer "combined" residency and fellowship-- and subsequently knock off 1yr or so of postgrad training... I'm not really talking about med/peds for dual residency, but residency and fellowship... for example, Tulane offers a combined IntMed/HemeOnc track for 5 yrs instead of 6.

Are there any/many other programs that offer this? I would be really interested to know which ones they are, and also how this all works... is it done outside the match??

there is something called fast-tracking which allows medicine to be done in 2 yrs but then an additional year for research is added to fellowship. this is for mostly md/phds who don't plan on primarily being clinicians.

i've never heard of a combined residency program.

tv1 said:

Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and Pitt have been approved for a 6 year combined EM/IM/Critical Care program. When you are finished you are board eligible for all 3.

These programs have been around for about 3 years now. The first grad is coming out this year from Ford and a couple more are behind him. I don't think Pitt has anybody yet.

Obviously if these guys are finishing now you've probably guessed correctly that they've transistioned into the program from either EM/IM program or the EM program.

KG