1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Combining EK and Kaplan (Biological Sciences)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by futuredoctor10, Dec 26, 2008.

1. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From reading a few threads, it sounds like several students are or plan to combine EK with Kaplan for Biological Sciences (specifically the Bio portion).

Anyone planning to do this and interested, maybe we can post on this thread when we see things missing in one of the texts covered in the other text.

For example:

Gram staining (and differences between gram positive/gram negative bacteria) and fungi [talked about in Ch 3 Microbiology of EK] is not really talked about in Kaplan.

Genetics and pedigree analysis is not talked about as well/as much in EK, but is more thorough in Kaplan.

Fetal circulation and glomerular filtration/ GFR is discussed better in Kaplan.

.... please add on things!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 229141

Pre-Medical
    I am for sure...here is why

AAMC practice test: BS 14
    Kaplan Tests: BS 13, 13
    EK: 10 (Fail :| )

This scares me...and I will me making sure I know everything in their book and their 1001 bio question thing. Their practice test showed me to be prepared for anything!

4. junkct

5+ Year Member

hmm yeah this might be a good idea. I'm only studying with kaplan right now, but I want to know if there are any big deficiencies with it. I'm debating about going out and getting the EK bio book (I have 1001, but not the actual content book) and reading that, but if there aren't TOO many holes in kaplan's books, I guess I could just read online about those topics. I really don't want to have to order/pay for the book and spend a good chunk of time reading it if I don't have to.

5. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    junkct- you could probably just read those topics online and that would be sufficient.
    The EK Bio book is amazing but if you already have Kaplan, most material will overlap...

Anyone using both books, pl feel free to note things here you think one doesn't cover that the other does.

6. Simran1031

Simran1031 Princess of 2014=)
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    im using the aamc biological topics for the mcat as my outline..and fleshing it out using ek, kaplan and online resources..that may be a good place to start so that you dont miss anything. and even if both books cover the material, its nice to get different perspectives.