Combining NP and PA as "medical provider?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhsge

Reaction score
I am a nurse practitioner.

I have a lot of PA coworkers who perform the same job. Patients are often confused why "assistants" and "nurses" do the same job. Some patients wish me a luck to become a RN because they think I am "practicing" to become a real nurse! Some people think PAs are medical assistants who take blood pressure and weight.

I think we need to make our titles simpler than what we have now. What are some of the thoughts that you have? I personally think we should be collectively called medical practitioner or medical provider.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a nurse practitioner.

I have a lot of PA coworkers who perform the same job. Patients are often confused why "assistants" and "nurses" do the same job. Some patients wish me a luck to become a RN because they think I am "practicing" to become a real nurse! Some people think PAs are medical assistants who take blood pressure and weight.

I think we need to make our titles simpler than what we have now. What are some of the thoughts that you have? I personally think we should be collectively called medical practitioner or medical provider.
Physician assistants as a profession recently chose to change the name of their profession to "PYSICIAN Associate" instead of "Medical (care) Practitioner". That's what they are going ahead with full steam. I'm perfectly happy being referred to as a Nurse Practitioner. I was actually a bit miffed that physician assistants even considered poaching our image by aligning with our name. Now its the physicians that are miffed that physician assistants want to poach their name. I'm not at all interested in being lumped in with physician assistants under a common moniker anyway. I like the distinction, because being a NP means that I'm an independent provider/prescriber. As an NP, I've never been mistaken for an RN. I've been mistaken for a physician, and its something I correct in the moment. I don't see any need to retool the entire workforce for something that is easily handled.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are entirely separate professions, this is kind of insulting to both of them to suggest

NP, PA and Physicians are three separate professions. Unfortunately there are people trying to blur the lines... Be proud of your profession and what you do, call yourself- I am Dr.. so and so for physicians; or I am NP.. so and so for NP's, or I am PA.... so and so for PA's.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a non physician prescriber, and a patient calls you “doc” in passing, work it into conversation what you are:

Patient: “Thanks Doc!”

NP: “My pleasure. I’ll try to be the best Nurse Practitioner for you that I can be”.

Or:

NP: “Happy to help, thats why I love being a Nurse Practitioner”.

For some, that’s not enough, but that is often all that’s needed. I identify myself as a nurse practitioner upon meeting a patient, when I share some brief background that mentions my time as a nurse. My staff always refer to me as an NP, particularly during appointment calls to set up referrals. No reason to hide from any of it. If or when I finish a doctorate, the only difference will be the letters next to my name. I don’t want to be confused with being a physician. But in psychiatry, my patients are dealing with a boat load of providers of some fashion… licensed counselors, licensed clinical social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, primary care providers (NPs and physicians). I don’t mind taking time to explain who is who, especially to avoid a patient coming to me expecting significant counselingwhen I’m there to manage the meds.