comfortable women's interview shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
now that i've spent a full day trying to disguise my limp on the tour, i'm prepared to pay a premium for a pair of comfortable interview shoes. has anybody had any luck with shoes that don't leave your feet screaming?
thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried aerosole shows or naturalizers. They are softer than your regular enzo/nine west/ or whatever other brands they have out there.

I gots mine from Easy Spirit. Talk about comfy and stylish!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview shoes are Naturalizer pumps, but I bring a pair of loafers for the campus tours. I've also seen other interviewees change into sneakers afterwards.

What kinds of shoes are you guys wearing to interviews? I've been thinking about this...probably more than I should. ^_^

Pumps: quite formal, feminine, but I don't want them to think that I care too much about shoes...and not all that practical for tours...(changing into loafers or sneakers is a good idea)
Heel Height? I'm quite short so I would love to have some extra height, but I don't want to fall over. 2 inches, 3 inches?
Heel type: stilletto? wide heel?
Straps: None, slingback, ankle?

Loafers: They're so clunky, eh, but so practical, and give off a more serious vibe.

Mary Janes: The classic girly girl shoe. It's playful, fun, but will it come off as too immature? (am I giving too much weight to shoe impressions? ^_^)

Goodness, if they could just make the perfect interview shoe.

i'm going to go with 2" pumps. the other styles are not dressy enough to wear with a suit in my opinion. hopefully i'll be able to find a pair that are semi-stylish. otherwise the pair that's been in my closet for a few years will have to do.

i love my enzo heeled loafers. i wore them without really breaking them in and was still comfortable for the entire day. that being said....you usually can't go wrong with easy spirit.

onto the sneaker issue....i don't think that's a good idea, but then again i'm not a comfort-first kind of girl! i like to strike a balance between comfort and style. anyway, just because one person wears sneakers at an interview (even just for the tour!) doesn't make it ok to me....

;)

You are not going to a fashion show. A simple and good rule for interview dress is comfortable, clean and neat, whether male or female, and suitable for the climate/weather. You will also feel more relaxed if you are not obsessing over your attire.

www.tarynrose.com

she's an orthopod who got sick of women's shoes being so uncomfortable and bad for your feet. not only are they comfy, but cool to boot!

and they cost $300+ per pair :eek:

I like Hush Puppies. comfortable. reasonably priced. pretty wide selection.:clap:

I love shoes. I mean, I have to restrain myself from visiting the shoe department b/c I will spend a lot of money that I can't afford to spend on shoes. So it really broke my heart when I went shoe shopping for pumps b/c I HATE pumps and didn't have enough $ to but the needed pumps and other shoes. Such a sacrifice, I know. ;) (sarcasm, my friends. sarcasm)

However, I ended up being really happy with the pumps I bought. They're Caressa pumps with a 1.5 inch heel. I didn't have time to break them in before my ECU interview, and the elevators at ECU were broken when I was there. Between the tour, finding the admissions office (4th floor), and finding all the different interview rooms, I did lots of walking and my feet really didn't bother me. So yay for the caressa pumps!

hey scienceriot!

did you go to einstein on the 18th??
b/c I was there!
what is your name??
how did your interviews go?

in terms of the shoes... i probably have the MOST comfortable shoes! They are flat dress shoes, they have maybe about an inch of a heel, but they are not pumps. But they are not casual shoes.
I got them at aerosole. they might not be the most stylish shoes but the interviewers never looked at my feet!! all my interviews went fine w/ those shoes on! And boy, i was glad i was wearing them during tours! i have major issues w/ my feet...

good luck to yall~

eunice

Originally posted by scienceriot
I wore sneaks to my Einstein tour/interview day: they were awesome when I was hauling ass between subway and bus, climbing up stairs, and sprinting around in an almost-late panic. They were awesome on the tour as the other girlies were clomping around in heels, they were awesome when wandering about in the hospital trying to find the office of my interviewer.

They abruptly ceased to be awesome when I completely forgot to get my hot red MJs out of my briefcase, and walked in to the interview in the Sauconys. Halfway through the door: "Oh my god! You weren't supposed to see these shoes!" as I excused myself to the hall and changed at like mach-5.
Yeah, the interviewer laughed, but I can't dismiss it by saying, "And it totally broke the ice!"
It was mortifying and phenomenally stupid; however, I'm going to do it at my next interview on Monday too because ultimately being comfortable for 9/10ths of the day was worth it. The trauma I incurred at Einstein won't let me forget to change ever again!

Originally posted by eunice
hey scienceriot!

did you go to einstein on the 18th??
b/c I was there!
what is your name??
how did your interviews go?

You should be able to recognize her by the SNEAKERS! :rolleyes: Just kidding! Unless...everybody was wearing sneakers! :eek:

I went the changing into sneakers route. Heck, I once even changed out of my interview suit! Ripley, thanks for that shoe site!! :cool: I just had bunion surgery on both feet, and I really need to find some good looking, professional shoes that won't damage my new feet! :)

I know this thread is old, but what type of shoes are appropriate?

Do I have to wear shoes that are closed-toed????
I can't walk in heels, so can I wear flats? I have shoes that are kind of like these, not exactly but close enough:
Giuseppe%20Zanotti%20Sparkle%20Flat%20Sandals%20dress%20shoes.jpg

Is this ok?

or this:

shoes0024__13374_std.JPG

i would NOT go with the orange juice colored ones.

just get a pair of plain flats that don't call attention to themselves. no one will notice that you aren't wearing "fancy shoes" as long as your shoes don't stand out in a bad way.