Comfortable women's shoes for wards and surgery, what should I buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost I'm broke as hell so I'm not buying $200 shoes at the moment. Just trying to figure out what to get in terms of affordable and comfortable shoes to wear on clinic days and then a good pair of sneakers or something for the OR or the days I wear scrubs, especially since I have very flat feet. I was thinking about getting the fancy insoles and just putting them in my old sneakers since they are going to be covered in god know's what from the hospital floors but I'm still looking for recommendations. I've heard Clarks has very good shoes for around $100 or less, I also saw some "work comfort" slip on shoes from Sketchers at DSW. Finding shoes that are comfortable and aren't ugly as sin for women is difficult. I'll appreciate any recommendation besides Dankso, those things are an abomination.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First and foremost I'm broke as hell so I'm not buying $200 shoes at the moment. Just trying to figure out what to get in terms of affordable and comfortable shoes to wear on clinic days and then a good pair of sneakers or something for the OR or the days I wear scrubs, especially since I have very flat feet. I was thinking about getting the fancy insoles and just putting them in my old sneakers since they are going to be covered in god know's what from the hospital floors but I'm still looking for recommendations. I've heard Clarks has very good shoes for around $100 or less, I also saw some "work comfort" slip on shoes from Sketchers at DSW. Finding shoes that are comfortable and aren't ugly as sin for women is difficult. I'll appreciate any recommendation besides Dankso, those things are an abomination.

Clarks Cloudsteppers are good for clinic

I’m not a woman, but have spent almost 10 years looking for comfortable OR shoes. I found some Merrels that are slip ons and are supper comfortable and my feet don’t hurt after 6 hour cases. Look through the “casual” selection there are some great ones there to choose from?

Members don't see this ad :)
For my surgery rotation I switched off between my most supportive sneakers and my jazz sneakers. Besides regular sneakers I really like my jazz shoes lol. These are dance shoes that look like sneakers and have a stacked split sole (so lots of cushion and it bends with your foot). Now as a resident in peds I usually wear some version of Toms, Sperrys, or the Sketchers sneakers that look like Mary Janes, so basically something that looks dressy enough but is still comfy. If my feet need more support that day or for the delivery room I bring out the jazz shoes.

Thanks for a suggestions. I ended up getting some of those Dr. Scholls ortho inserts, a good pair of tennis shoes on sale and a pair of Clarks slip ons that were like 60% off. Almost went with Merrells but finding Clarks for like $50 bucks was a steal so I got those instead!

Reactions: 1 user
CLOGOUTLET.COM is all you need. Highly recommend Sanitas. Get a size bigger than you usually are, they're met to have a lot of space in the back.