Comforting advice from fellow SDNers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thego2guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ugh. What a crappy semester. First semester where I got hit with a C. I'm looking for words of encouragement, advice, and support from my fellow premeds.

This semester I took four sciences and got the following grades:
Chem II - A
Neurobio - A
Immunology - A- (was expecting an A in this four credit course.. :( )
Physics II (NOT calc based) - C

Idk how much my GPA is going to plummet, probably a ton, and I feel like utter crap about it. I read many times that "one C ain't gonna kill ya" and logically I can see why it wouldn't. However I still heavily feel the weight on my shoulders. Without the C counted in, I have a 3.85. As soon as the C updates on my transcript I don't know what to expect. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comforting words? ugh. Its been a LONG semester with a lot of personal issues.

I also need advice for summer plans. I have very little work done in terms of volunteering. I'm going to be a Junior in the fall. Last summer I did research at a top hospital along SURP students. This summer I am waiting for the same opportunity. If that falls through I'll try for another hospital. If that falls through I'll study for MCAT this whole summer.. but I don't know how feasible it is for me to take it without orgo... If I get a research position and its anything like last summer, then I foresee 60 hour work weeks; so very little time for volunteering. Advice?

Should I focus less on research and try and shoe in clinical volunteering at the hospital? Should I just do 'nothing' this summer, kick back, and study for MCAT? (Everyone says that is taboo. 'What?! Not do anything this summer?! Are you crazy?!'). Idk.. I'm so bummed out about this semester I don't want to do anything. Now that Junior year is around the corner, I am entering the final countdown where every month has to be perfectly planned out. I feel unprepared and anxious.

I want to start a new club and an honor society associated with it in the Fall. I also want to start a focus on science outreach programs. I hope that I'll have enough time, ambition, and drive to follow through those ideas and build up something meaningful for applications and myself. I am strongly shooting for all schools in New York. Its a wide range, however most of them are mid to upper tier schools which does not make my situation any better.

Thanks for the support SDNers :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Ugh. What a crappy semester. First semester where I got hit with a C. I'm looking for words of encouragement, advice, and support from my fellow premeds.

This semester I took four sciences and got the following grades:
Chem II - A
Neurobio - A
Immunology - A- (was expecting an A in this four credit course.. :( )
Physics II (NOT calc based) - C

Idk how much my GPA is going to plummet, probably a ton, and I feel like utter crap about it. I read many times that "one C ain't gonna kill ya" and logically I can see why it wouldn't. However I still heavily feel the weight on my shoulders. Without the C counted in, I have a 3.85. As soon as the C updates on my transcript I don't know what to expect. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comforting words? ugh. Its been a LONG semester with a lot of personal issues.

I also need advice for summer plans. I have very little work done in terms of volunteering. I'm going to be a Junior in the fall. Last summer I did research at a top hospital along SURP students. This summer I am waiting for the same opportunity. If that falls through I'll try for another hospital. If that falls through I'll study for MCAT this whole summer.. but I don't know how feasible it is for me to take it without orgo... If I get a research position and its anything like last summer, then I foresee 60 hour work weeks; so very little time for volunteering. Advice?

Should I focus less on research and try and shoe in clinical volunteering at the hospital? Should I just do 'nothing' this summer, kick back, and study for MCAT? (Everyone says that is taboo. 'What?! Not do anything this summer?! Are you crazy?!'). Idk.. I'm so bummed out about this semester I don't want to do anything. Now that Junior year is around the corner, I am entering the final countdown where every month has to be perfectly planned out. I feel unprepared and anxious.

I want to start a new club and an honor society associated with it in the Fall. I also want to start a focus on science outreach programs. I hope that I'll have enough time, ambition, and drive to follow through those ideas and build up something meaningful for applications and myself. I am strongly shooting for all schools in New York. Its a wide range, however most of them are mid to upper tier schools which does not make my situation any better.

Thanks for the support SDNers :)

As has been said by many before, one C is not going to kill you:rolleyes: Prior to the C, you have a very good GPA, and by the time you graduate, you will have enough hours that the one C will only bring your GPA down slightly.

As for your summer, I would probably get started volunteering, but there is no reason why it has to take up a ridiculous amount of your time. Most volunteer gigs are just a few hours a week. If you start it now, you could definitely continue while attending classes next year and during your senior year. Whatever else you do is really up to you. Do you really feel like you are burning out? If so, maybe take it easy for this summer, and grab another research opportunity next summer. I wouldn't personally start studying for the MCAT yet, as you still have plenty of time to take it, wouldn't gain anything by taking it before taking Orgo.

Overall - chill out! You are only half-way through your undergrad, have a good GPA and already have research experience. You are in a pretty good place:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are never as bad as they seem

If you get the research position, you should be able to do some volunteering on the side (most volunteering things are what you make of them, as long as you don't take on anything that's too time consuming, you should be able to balance the two).

As for the C, don't worryyyyyy! You've got a heck of a lot more grades to look forward to. Just keep plugging away at it and things will work out fine. I think the most important thing you can do is figure out WHY you got that grade. Was it because of the subject material, studying habits, test taking anxiety, having a rough semester, etc. If it's because you found the subject difficult, just keep that in mind as you eventually start prepping for the MCAT.

If you get the research position, you should be able to do some volunteering on the side (most volunteering things are what you make of them, as long as you don't take on anything that's too time consuming, you should be able to balance the two).

As for the C, don't worryyyyyy! You've got a heck of a lot more grades to look forward to. Just keep plugging away at it and things will work out fine. I think the most important thing you can do is figure out WHY you got that grade. Was it because of the subject material, studying habits, test taking anxiety, having a rough semester, etc. If it's because you found the subject difficult, just keep that in mind as you eventually start prepping for the MCAT.

Thanks guys.

I got a crappy grade because I got hit with a plethora of problems at home. I moved out of my house with my mom, and in with my grandma. That was physically taxing, and required me to miss labs and whatnot. I got really short on money, so I started doing chem and bio homework (and online courses from online universities) for other people for money. Since they paid me cash, that took priority over my school work. When I registered for four sciences in November, I did not foresee the mountain of problems that would come on me. So it sucks. I got a B+ in Physics 1 though... so its not like Physics was exactly my strongest subject to begin with. W/e. :thumbdown:

I'm sure that many of us have been in your position one time or another. It's easy to feel helpless due to the difficulty and pressure of applying to medical school. Your GPA is fine and one C won't break your application although it might raise an eyebrow. The average matriculant has around a 3.7 gpa. Taking orgo is advisable. It's silly to just sit back in the summer because you want to fill out all those little checkboxes that the application has for work, volunteering, leadership, etc. If something is missing, you'll be asked about it. I feel like you checked off the research and if you can talk about it then you're fine. I think clinical volunteering is a waste of time because you just do stupid things like stock carts or change sheets which helps them but doesn't help you. I suggest that you try to shadow some doctors and do something like work in a clinic or something. Then when people ask you why you want to be a doctor, you have experiences that you can point to that helped solidify your decision. Don't bother with clubs and honors societies. I'm pretty sure everyone knows those things are just bs although they could help you network. Science outreach program sounds great. New York schools are all nice but state schools are very attainable while offering a solid education

Dear worried premed,

Chill.

Stop taking stupidly hard course loads and inflate your gpa/ play the game.

- me, I am awesome.