Coming Back as Premed student with Vengence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SOS2Med

Hello everyone,

I am 29 years old and I am hoping to come back to school as pre-med student. This story is a bit complicated so get ready for a somewhat long story.

In the beginning of my college years, I was going to do a pre-med route for college. However, I did not do well and I was immature and unfocused. I took all the requirement such as general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and math. I end up staying 5 years in community college until I transfer to an university as a math major with a 2.5 GPA.

At the university, I was struggling to adjust my time from the semester system to the quarter system, my study habits, juggling with a full time job, and handling upper division in math course. I struggled immensely until I changed into an economic major as a fifth year. I was able to do well on my economic class. I graduated from the university as 2.5 GPA. So overall my whole undergraduate GPA was a 2.5 cumulative with 2.5 GPA science courses with 400 units altogether.

After I graduate, I have took a business job and I hate it. I feel so unhappy and unsatisfied of my career route. Then I got laid off and seek elsewhere. I took an EMT course, got my license and work as a tech at a hospital. I love that job as its re candle my passion for medicine and would like to become a doctor someday. I want to go back to school and work for my dream again and I don't think I will ever give up this time.

So currently, I have a BA in economics. Would it be wise to go back to school and get a second bachelor's for a BS to boost my GPA? Should I get a master instead? SMP is out of question because of my low GPA.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your AMCAS gpa?
There is a calculator under "Pre Allopathic Helpful Hints." https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-thread-for-optimal-results-and-more.1170791/
If it is really 2.5, you should consider DO grade replacement as it would take years to get above automatic screens at MD schools.

It's a 2.4 GPA with science GPA and 2.6 cumulative GPA. With so much unit accumulate, would I be better off and get a second bachelor in somewhere in the science field?

It's a 2.4 GPA with science GPA and 2.6 cumulative GPA. With so much unit accumulate, would I be better off and get a second bachelor in somewhere in the science field?
Even with all/mostly A's, a second bachelor's would give you a rather modest gpa for MD.
Grade replacement would do the job much more efficiently and your end point could be 3.2 or 3.3 instead of 3.6...

Even with all/mostly A's, a second bachelor's would give you a rather modest gpa for MD.
Grade replacement would do the job much more efficiently and your end point could be 3.2 or 3.3 instead of 3.6...
Thank you.

So should my next step would be doing a DIY post bacc?

Thank you.

So should my next step would be doing a DIY post bacc?
Sort of. You need to retake the courses you got a C or worse in, (starting with the lowest grades) and take remaining classes needed for the MCAT (or required where you are applying).

You should check out the details for grade replacement first. The classes need to be at least the same number of credits and the course description must be substantially similar. The pre-osteo folks will have all the details. Grade replacement does not work at TX DO schools that use TMDSAS.

Your story is a total reflection of mine 20 years ago. Do not do a second bachelor's. Do you own post-back and take the pre-req's that you need. Use the advantage of DO grade replacement. Do well on the MCAT and apply DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Your story is a total reflection of mine 20 years ago. Do not do a second bachelor's. Do you own post-back and take the pre-req's that you need. Use the advantage of DO grade replacement. Do well on the MCAT and apply DO.

You don't mind sharing your stories to me? What is your reason from doing post bacc vs. second bachelor's? I have so many classes that I need to make it up. It will take a while for me.

You don't mind sharing your stories to me? What is your reason from doing post bacc vs. second bachelor's? I have so many classes that I need to make it up. It will take a while for me.
I took all my classes over that I needed all at once in one year (8 classes total) so it wasn't logical for me to do a second bachelor's. Plus the cost of another bachelor's just wasn't in the budget.

Reactions: 1 user
The only reason I would ever consider a 2nd bachelors is to use that as launch pad for PhD program. My BA is in soft skills thingyjerierggy ... so PhD in biochem would most likely require BS in mole bio or something... but even with that, the PhD programs I've looked at only require I make sure I have the required under grad classes in hand... like calculus and some other stuff before applying.

So even then, no 2nd Bachelor's....

Reactions: 1 user
The only reason I would ever consider a 2nd bachelors is to use that as launch pad for PhD program. My BA is in soft skills thingyjerierggy ... so PhD in biochem would most likely require BS in mole bio or something... but even with that, the PhD programs I've looked at only require I make sure I have the required under grad classes in hand... like calculus and some other stuff before applying.

So even then, no 2nd Bachelor's....

The only reason I would apply for second bachelor's because of financial aid and schedule priority. I will look into DIY Post Bacc most closely.

Thank you.

@SOS2Med

Yeah, apply for a second bachelor's simply for the financial aid and registration priority. That's what I did. I am classified as a senior at the school I am currently attending and I am able to take the classes I want before the seats a filled. I don't intend to complete a 2nd degree. I am just going to retake all my C's and bounce.