Coming back from an IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimakey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll just skip to the main point and say that I received an IA for my summer Calc 2 course for assisting a student with an exam problem. I was the only one (besides him) who was able to complete the problem, and the student wasn’t able to explain his work. Suffice to say: we each received F’s and an IA. I recognize this was a mistake on my part and have been working to put myself in better light to draw away from my moment of weakness.

Im a senior and graduating next semester, so I understand this hits harder than it would on freshmen. I’m already accepted to Peace Corps and was planning on doing another year of service before it since it most likely won’t open back up till mid-2022.

Anyway, I already have ~500 hours of service to disadvantaged and wanted to make that the focus on my application.

Is aiming for MD/DO still realistic? Note that I was planning on taking 5 gap years, even before the incident:

1 year of service/clinical volunteering
2 year peace corps
1 year work in a clinical job and take MCAT
1 year apply, work and volunteer

I’ve already got a research letter, so that’s dealt with. My GPA tanked because of the F, but it’s still above 3 for both. Am I still eligible for schools like Rush/Tulane, or will I get laughed out the door?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA?
I would cite mr @Goro:
If you have an institutional action (IA) for cheating, stop right now. Your medical career is over. Now, there's cheating and then there’s cheating.
probably it is a time for a backup plan.