Coming late to anesthesia... how many rotations are enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knaackville

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a 4th year student, who recently fell in love with Anesthesia after almost going into Radiology. I've already used up 2 of my 4 total electives in rads, and I've done 1 anesthesia rotation. So I have one elective rotation left...

The question is, should I consider doing one last anesthesia rotation while trying to study for Step 2, or should I take another rotation like derm where I'm not trying to impress someone and have more time to study? I'm already taking an anesthesia based SICU month later this year for my critical care rotation... Will only having these 2 anesthesia rotations hurt my chances at programs? I've already got my LOR set for anesthesia from my earlier elective.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

one is enough... take derm and have less stress for step 2 studying...

You got all your letters... And you have submitted ERAS or are going to do so soon right? programs probably won't even know if you take another anesthesia elective or not. So it would not really help you.

Away rotations to impress other programs are a different story, but it might be a bit late to consider that anyway.

I was in the exact same situation as you last year. I didn't even do an anesthesiology rotation until september of my 4th year. It was not a problem. I was thinking about going into Rads and changed my mind after 2 electives.... If you have the grades and step scores to get into Rads, you will almost be a shoe in for many great anesthesia programs. Don't sweat it. Sounds like you are already on top of things. Enjoy your 4th year. Most expensive vacation ever.