Coming off HPSP Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJMa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my packet for the Army went to boards in June...due to this they ran out of scholarships. However, I was accepted but put on the Order of Merit list for a 3.5 year scholarship. The new fiscal year starts in October which is when I would get commissioned.

My questions are: Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, how long was it before you were comissioned in October?

I am just curious because we all know med school classes take up our lives, and I would have to drive over an hour to get commissioned in Pittsburgh. That being said, I have October 2nd off from classes and was just curious if anyone knew if they started commissioning that early in the month.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As soon as your package goes through, I'm pretty sure you can choose the day and time that you want. My recruiter actually came to my house with his boss to swear me in and sign paperwork.

The recruiter will commission you on Super Bowl Sunday at 00:01 in the morning at the top of the Empire State Building. The one thing they are flexible about is that, because once you sign, they own you. There is no reason to do it on a day off. I did both my commissionings at my house in the evening. It doesn't take too long, either

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy cow! How bad are things that even the Army and Navy are turning down HPSP applicants?!?!? In my year group (2009) (smallest in history, BTW), you pretty much had to have a pulse to get accepted!

Holy cow! How bad are things that even the Army and Navy are turning down HPSP applicants?!?!? In my year group (2009) (smallest in history, BTW), you pretty much had to have a pulse to get accepted!

I think this is great. Having more applicants than positions allows the services to be choosier. In the long run, good for mil med.

I didnt get turned down. The Army is allotted so many scholarships each year. This past year they had a record number of applicants and awarded all of the scholarships before the June boards took place. SO I was ACCEPTED but they didnt have one to give to me so I was put on a waitlist for when the new year starts and their supply is renewed.

I think this is great. Having more applicants than positions allows the services to be choosier. In the long run, good for mil med.
It means the signing bonus isn't long for this world, though.

BTW can they reduce the stipend on us?

I didnt get turned down. The Army is allotted so many scholarships each year. This past year they had a record number of applicants and awarded all of the scholarships before the June boards took place. SO I was ACCEPTED but they didnt have one to give to me so I was put on a waitlist for when the new year starts and their supply is renewed

Have you checked with the Navy and AF to make sure they gave away all of their scholarships? If they can get it done before December (and with both MEPS and scroll complete they should be able to) they can actually give you a full 4 year scholarship. No reason to give away any money you don't have to.

It means the signing bonus isn't long for this world, though.

BTW can they reduce the stipend on us?

Have you checked with the Navy and AF to make sure they gave away all of their scholarships? If they can get it done before December (and with both MEPS and scroll complete they should be able to) they can actually give you a full 4 year scholarship. No reason to give away any money you don't have to.

I originally tried to go the Navy route. I was DQ's at MEPS and the Navy wouldnt give me a wavier. So I went the Army route. I know that the Navy def did not use all of their scholarships this year. AF I dont know.

I still get my bonus money tho :)

And no they cannot reduce the stipend on us.

I originally tried to go the Navy route. I was DQ's at MEPS and the Navy wouldnt give me a wavier. So I went the Army route. I know that the Navy def did not use all of their scholarships this year. AF I dont know.

I still get my bonus money tho :)

And no they cannot reduce the stipend on us.

You know wrong. The Navy did fill all of its positions.

So the Navy filled all their spots eh. Would this be a good explanation for why my recruiter stopped answering my calls/emails?

After I got selected to USAF, HPSP I got several emails from Army wanting to get me in. I had to write them several times that I was accepted USAF, HPSP. We are talking of 2006. So, what happened? Even with all the bad mouthing of HPSP? Try USAF, I have no complains!

Last edited: