Medical Coming out (again) on app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came out as gay on my app, but I left the gender identity and preferred pronouns sections blank. I only recently came out as nonbinary (I had a lot of time to reflect during the pandemic lockdown and realized I was finally ready to bite the bullet) and am still adjusting. If I'm lucky enough to attend interviews, I'm nervous about having to correct interviewers with respect to the name and pronouns I use. I'm starting to see all of the issues that could arise from this (the name on my letters wont match the name I go by, neither will the pronouns, they'll see words like "lesbian" and get confused, etc.).
I brazenly wrote a diversity essay that included my gender identity, but after reading the horror stories of trans med students online, I'm questioning everything. Is it worth coming out on my app? Do you feel adcoms discriminate against nonbinary/trans applicants? Is it seen as "too much" and a hassle?
I appreciate any advice you have to offer, thank you so much for your time.
Everyone's decision about this is different. As a white gay male medical professional, I am LGBT but come from a place of privilege, which may explain why it was pretty easy for me to come out on my application. I therefore can't tell you exactly how you should go about this.

That being said, I think a good many medical schools, particularly in large cities, have "seen the light," so to speak, and will welcome your experiences as a valuable part of your ability to care for patients. Most people in admissions want to use appropriate pronouns for their prospective students; if you've been invited to interview, it means the school is interested in you. If your gender identity is an issue, that's clearly not going to be a good fit of a school, but if a school that isn't 100% trans/nonbinary friendly is the only one you get into, I can absolutely see internal conflict arising.

So here's what I would do, and do whatever is comfortable for you. For the schools you are applying to:

1. Go to the school specific discussions on SDN, and find the 1-2 lurkers who are undoubtedly on every page and go to the schools you are applying to.
2. Send them a message asking if they'd be ok with you asking a couple of questions about the culture of the school as it relates to LGBT issues. You can reveal that you are trans/nonbinary or not to them, but I think they're likely to understand where you're coming from, and this isn't going to identify you as an applicant.
3. Ask them if the school is friendly toward LGBT/nonbinary people. Many people in the LGBT community even don't know what nonbinary is (I only learned when I started residency, and I'm completely accepting of all gender identities!), so don't be alarmed if they aren't familiar with your particular gender identity.
4. Based on the answers, come up with a plan that makes you comfortable. Keep in mind that it is just one interview day, and being in the closet for one day, for most people, isn't hard, but you lose the chance to gauge reaction to your gender identity if you aren't out.

Ultimately, all of this mostly just depends on your comfort level. Do what's right for you! If you are confident in yourself and your identity and can politely ask for gender neutral pronoun use, I think any admissions committee worth a barnacle will work with you from a place of good faith. If someone messes up your pronouns, I wouldn't go overboard correcting them on an interview day if you don't perceive them as intentionally trying to be disrespectful. You have 4 years to change their mind if you get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I came out as gay on my app, but I left the gender identity and preferred pronouns sections blank. I only recently came out as nonbinary (I had a lot of time to reflect during the pandemic lockdown and realized I was finally ready to bite the bullet) and am still adjusting. If I'm lucky enough to attend interviews, I'm nervous about having to correct interviewers with respect to the name and pronouns I use. I'm starting to see all of the issues that could arise from this (the name on my letters wont match the name I go by, neither will the pronouns, they'll see words like "lesbian" and get confused, etc.).
I brazenly wrote a diversity essay that included my gender identity, but after reading the horror stories of trans med students online, I'm questioning everything. Is it worth coming out on my app? Do you feel adcoms discriminate against nonbinary/trans applicants? Is it seen as "too much" and a hassle?
I appreciate any advice you have to offer, thank you so much for your time.

We do not discriminate. Just be a nice person.. I've interviewed candidates who make RuPaul look like the The Rock. Those that were terrible at interviewing got rejected; those we liked are now doctors.

If you were simply sloppy in your app, that might hurt. However, you probably will have chances to clarify in secondaries, especially those with the "Anything else you want to tell us that isn't in your app?"

Under no circumstances apply to LUCOM or Loma Linda. Everyone else will be fine with you., as long as you are fine with you.

I can't foresee pronouns being an issue; with the name, just tell us your name. Many times we have 1st generation students tell us that they prefer to be called "Joe" or "Jane" instead of thier given names on the app.

Just me personally, I like to see service to LGBT communities, lest I think that you are an unethical applicant trying to get the URM advantage. You'd be surprised how many people discover Native American or Hispanic ancestry upon application to medical school. Walk the walk, don't merely talk the talk, so to speak.

It's certainly a personal decision. I don't foresee you having any issues. I have met numerous people on the trail both for med school and for residency who identify similarly or the same. I have met a few people in residency just the same, so they made it, and therefore you can do with being open/out if you so choose. There will be a few specific problem places like @Goro mentioned above. Many places are more accepting than they used to be.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.