Coming to UK from US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted472101

What is required of an American fellowship trained physician to practice in the UK? A friend of mine told me I would have to take the plabs and then work for two years. Is this true? Do I skip training since I have completed it once already in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

What is required of an American fellowship trained physician to practice in the UK? A friend of mine told me I would have to take the plabs and then work for two years. Is this true? Do I skip training since I have completed it once already in the states?

An EU passport or EU medical degree is required for any kind of training job, if you are fully trained it varies but generally it will be incredibly difficult if not impossible for you to get a job in most specialities. You should check out the royal college website for whatever specialty it is.

How would that work if I was a US citizen with an EU medical degree obtained outside the UK?

How would that work if I was a US citizen with an EU medical degree obtained outside the UK?

You would have a hard time getting visa sponsorship, and I believe the UK recently made it more challenging for non-UK/EU citizens to get one for a medicine/surgery foundation year internship.

If you are unable to obtain UK/EU citizenship/permanent residency I don't think you've got a great chance, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.

If you're a white American explore your ancestral roots and you may be able to claim dual citizenship to a European country, something like 10% of white Americans are eligible for dual citizenship somewhere in Europe.

You might have a better shot trying for Ireland, I know one of their requirements for getting an internship is that the candidate graduate from an EU medical school (e.g. a German citizen who goes to medical school in the US in not eligible for an internship in Ireland, but would be in the UK) which might eliminate some of your competition. But even there chances are slim. Though not impossible so to speak.