• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Coming to UK from US

Jigsaw

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
    What is required of an American fellowship trained physician to practice in the UK? A friend of mine told me I would have to take the plabs and then work for two years. Is this true? Do I skip training since I have completed it once already in the states?

bambi

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 5, 2003
    England
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      What is required of an American fellowship trained physician to practice in the UK? A friend of mine told me I would have to take the plabs and then work for two years. Is this true? Do I skip training since I have completed it once already in the states?

An EU passport or EU medical degree is required for any kind of training job, if you are fully trained it varies but generally it will be incredibly difficult if not impossible for you to get a job in most specialities. You should check out the royal college website for whatever specialty it is.

JohnSnow

Sep 13, 2011
        How would that work if I was a US citizen with an EU medical degree obtained outside the UK?

You would have a hard time getting visa sponsorship, and I believe the UK recently made it more challenging for non-UK/EU citizens to get one for a medicine/surgery foundation year internship.

If you are unable to obtain UK/EU citizenship/permanent residency I don't think you've got a great chance, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.

If you're a white American explore your ancestral roots and you may be able to claim dual citizenship to a European country, something like 10% of white Americans are eligible for dual citizenship somewhere in Europe.

You might have a better shot trying for Ireland, I know one of their requirements for getting an internship is that the candidate graduate from an EU medical school (e.g. a German citizen who goes to medical school in the US in not eligible for an internship in Ireland, but would be in the UK) which might eliminate some of your competition. But even there chances are slim. Though not impossible so to speak.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.