comlex 2 and usmle 2 books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOindahouse

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to buy some books for these but i dont know whats the best out there?
what did u all use?
any course?
any opinions on the Blueprint series?
please inform me of all sources that may help.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BLUEPRINTS OB/GYN AND MEDICINE ARE EXCELLENT.
ALSO FIRST AID FOR STEP 2 3RD EDITION IS EXCELLENT.
BOARDS AND WARDS IS ALSO A GREAT RESOURCE.

NMS AND SWANSONS ARE GOOD Q AND A BOOKS.

I read through First Aid and Prescription for the boards for step II. Both of these books offered decent outlines to kind of remind myself of the specialties that I had forgotten about (peds, ob (tons of ob/gyn questions on the test), surgery). Most of my specific learning came from doing practice questions. I would reccomend purchasing q bank and running through their questions at least once in the tutorial mode. It's a bit overpriced ($149 for 950 questions), but I do recall seeing questions on my step II that were very similar to questions that I had in q bank. I wouldn't bother with any of the blueprints unless you feel that you are very weak in a specialty and the review books aren't giving you enough information to jog your memory.

hmm ok , interesting, comon everyone hookme up with some of your game plans, iwant to try and decide what to get by the weekend

Members don't see this ad :)
are you a third year right now? If you're in the middle of third year, you can use blueprints books or kaplan books to review each specialty (IM, Peds, OBGYN) while you are doing each rotation to study for your shelf exams and sim thru them a few weeks before the for the boards.....you may want to start doing questions a few weeks before your step2 rolls around--i used nms (lots of people use it--its questions are a lot harder than the usmle, but it has very good explanations in it) and step 2 mock exam by adam brochert who wrote crush step 2....qbank was the closest approximation to the usmle, but i didn't get a chance to do more than about 400 questions in it....lastly, get a good overall review book--i used crush step 2 and found it to be very high yield and easy to read....boards and wards is also a good book, but it was too dense for me to read quickly and would require a bigger time commitment.... good luck

thanks, im a DO studnet so we dont have shelfs, ill get Boards and wards, and blueprints,
with blue prints do they come ina set, are they all good? or shoild i leave some out, thanks

Originally posted by DOindahouse
thanks, im a DO studnet so we dont have shelfs, ill get Boards and wards, and blueprints,
with blue prints do they come ina set, are they all good? or shoild i leave some out, thanks

Nope, they are not all good. Most people at my school agree that medicine, ob/gyn, and peds are decent; but the psych, neuro, and surgery books were lacking. Some people still used them and liked them, but most people just purchased the med, ob, and peds. If you can get a deal on a whole set though, it still might be worthwhile if you can save some money by purchasing the whole set.

does anyone know if the newest updated ones are good to get, or am i ok with the edition before, and buy it used lil cheaper, same for boards and wards