COMLEX accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhs2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how well COMLEX scores are accepted at allopathic residency positions? Being burnt out, I never took the USMLE, but did very well on the COMLEX (97 percentile). Is this going to hurt me, or even set me back when I apply for EM residency? I am not planning on applying to Top 10 spots, but not the bottm 10 either. Also, where are some places that will accept/reject a applicant for just having the COMLEX? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on scoring so high on your COMLEX. That's great. It will definately get your foot in the door.
There are two camps of philosophy in regards to taking the USMLE... you already know about those so I"ll give anecdotal evidence.

I scored 93%ile on COMLEX step I. Did not take USMLE. I applied to around 44 programs. Interveiw offers from 20 or so. Waitlisted so far at around 5. Rejections so far from around 10...
I have gotten interview at pretty much wherever I really really wanted to go (I didn't really want to go to Duke or Emory but what they hey I thought I'd give it a shot).

I know another DO student who scored 99%ile on COMLEX and she said "did just as well on the USMLE." She applied to about 30 programs... has around 22-23 interviews... and just got her first rejection. She has some interiews at some higher tier programs...

Make up your own conclusion.

I took both, but it sounds like you guys scored well enough (a percentile score is pretty easy to read) that it won't hurt you.

Keep in mind though, getting an interview is different than getting matched. NAIL that interview, and make sure you ALWAYS put on a friendly face and appear interested. The score won't get you in...it is the fine details that ultimately get you matched into the program of your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
DocWagner, Actually your program was one that I was planning on applying to. How is the COMLEX viewed there? The program at Indiana, a few in Ohio, and the Peoria program are just a few of the other programs that I am considering. Anyone heard any positive/negative things about any of these programs. And, how is the COMLEX viewed for board scores at all of these programs. Thanks for your replies.

From a UHS Alum to a current UHSer,

Bottom line, it is easier to compare apples to apples, so the USMLE is easier when looking at candidates. Many residents help in the interview process at most programs...and honestly they don't know what to do with the COMLEX (it is foreign to MD residents and most attendings). Sure 80-100% score is self explanitory, but still...
The COMLEX is accepted, and it won't be held against you...it is just EASIER with the USMLE.
I.U. would prefer the USMLE...I rotated there and interviewed there. Most Ohio programs are familiar with the COMLEX so it is an easier comparison.
Wright State has no bias against DO's. Many of the attendings are Osteopathic Physicians though only 1-2 residents per class are DO's.
The program director at Peoria, Dr. Marc Squillante, is a well respected DO.

I interviewed at 3 of the many OH programs (St. Vincent's, Akron General, and MetroHealth/CWRU/CCF), and liked all 3. Obviously there are major differences between the programs, as well as geographically, but I would be happy to go to any of those programs. I also received an interview from OSU but probably wont' make it. Oddly enough, got a flat out rejection from WSU. :)