Comlex blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugbydoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only MSII who is wasting time on the internet instead of studying for the boards. I just couldn't take anymore in. How is everyone out there dealing with the long days of studying? At one point I was praying for more time to study now I think I just want to get it over and go on. Two weeks ago our administration (UHSCOM) sprung on us that not only do we have to pass COMLEX I & II to graduate, but if we don't pass the boards next week we can't go on rotations this fall. We would have to stay on campus and study for the boards until October. Has any other school moved in this direction? I have every intention to pass and am not happy about the extra stress it lays on me, especially since they announced it so late in the game. What do you think--fair or foul?
hRQdW8

Members don't see this ad.

KCOM requires COMLEX I & II for graduation. Not sure about the policy of people who fail COMLEX I though. I think they just have to come back w/o missing rotations. Will check.

Rugbydoc - I'm in the same position, but I'm studying for the USMLE. I'm taking it next Friday (5/4) and am going crazy! I too originally wanted more time to study, but at this point I just want to get it over!!

My school also requires students to pass Step I and II to graduate, and if we fail Step I, we are pulled out of rotations in order to study until we take it again (I am praying this won't happen to me).

I think this is a good idea - the policy ensures students are competent to move on to 3rd year or to graduate.

Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one who is stressing out right now...

Good luck!

Jen

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm studying for the COMLEX and USMLE and wasting time on the internet! Life is grand. I take the USMLE on next friday too...

Ever try to review two years of medical school in a month?? Not fun.

--dave

you guys have nothing on me..at CCOM they decided to take away our free time to study for the boards and to keep our 6th quarter as a full load with finals right up to the bitter end..i finished finals 5/21..how's that for support from your school! 10 days to cram it all in and they expect you to pass better than the average at all the other schools..yea, like that is even statistically possible..

I can beat that - I took my last final YESTERDAY!!! Yep, my school is real thoughtful. I'm going nuts trying to cram everything in (why do you think I'm back on the computer???)

Well, good luck to all!

Jen

I really feel sorry to hear all you guys situation. I just finished my first year final and my second year started in July.

My saw the M2 in the library and they are studying very hard for their boards. However, I guess we are more fortunate. Nova has been very supportive to the students. We start our second year in july and the school year ends in April. We got a month off for studying the board.

Well good luck to all of you. Keep your fighting spirit up.

You guys and gals need to chill out!

It isn't that bad. Someone made a statement about reviewing medical school in one month (or less at some schools) and that is EXACTLY what it is...REVIEW. You shouldn't have to learn much of anything. If all you med students have done well in the first 2 years of medical school and have studied appropriately during that time, then you shouldn't have too much problem with the board exams (COMLEX or USMLE). The hard part is sitting on your but for a 2-day, 16 hr, 900 question exam. (I have recently heard that the new computerized USMLE is only a 1-day 350 question exam...that is nice).

When I took part 1, our school gave us about 3 weeks to study. I t was fun watching all of these "top of the class" students stress over the exam (I was only in the 40th percentile in my class of 170). I relaxed, drank beer at the beach while I studied and I didn't study 8 hours a day over that time. If I didn't feel like studying, I worked a 12 hr shift to earn some cash. In the end, I scored over 600 (for those who don't know, when it comes to COMLEX, 400 is passing, 500 is the mean, and over 600 is considered strong...I think the mean for the USMLE is 200 with a passing scoring being 176). I ended up the in top 1/3 of all who took the exam.

Moral of the story? If I can do that well on the exam, so can everyone one of you. And unless you are aiming for a very competitive residency ie, Derm, Surg, Orth, Opth, or EM, it doesn't matter at all. Think about it, when was the last time you asked your physician what he/she got on their board exam?

Brandon A, MS4 (until 6/4)
Western University/COMP

Brandon - Thanks for the encouraging words! I do believe that I will be fine, but it's hard not to get a little stressed out.

You are correct, the USMLE is now a 1 day, 350 question, computerized test. This is the first year for this version, so I'm a little apprehensive about that. They have cut the number of questions in half (eeks, that means I can't miss as many....). The good thing is, it is only a one day test now.

Well, I'll try to relax. Thanks for your encouragement.

Good luck everyone!