Comlex Cutoff for FM/IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIGuy23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Still new to SDN. I am a 3rd year trying to get a strategy ready for the match next year. Unfortunately, my Level 1 score was very very low (<450) but I passed on my first attempt and I have no failures in any classes. I have strong clinical letters of rec and reviews. When looking at some programs I noticed they have USMLE/COMLEX cutoffs for interview spots. Are those a hard cutoff? Is it still worth applying to these programs even if I have a lower score?

With my COMLEX score I understand I need to cast a very wide net; however, I don't want to be throwing money or time on auditions away. If anyone has any tips or can provide some useful information on programs in Michigan or the Midwest that I should look into I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the programs directly that you are interested for auditions/applications.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you want a combined fm/im program for?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Contact the programs directly that you are interested for auditions/applications.

Unfortunately that is what I figured :unsure:. Time to start cranking out emails I guess. I was just hoping there was a general consensus that the cutoffs listed are usually hard or flexible. Guess it really is program dependent?

Thanks for the reply.

Hey all,

Still new to SDN. I am a 3rd year trying to get a strategy ready for the match next year. Unfortunately, my Level 1 score was very very low (<450) but I passed on my first attempt and I have no failures in any classes. I have strong clinical letters of rec and reviews. When looking at some programs I noticed they have USMLE/COMLEX cutoffs for interview spots. Are those a hard cutoff? Is it still worth applying to these programs even if I have a lower score?

With my COMLEX score I understand I need to cast a very wide net; however, I don't want to be throwing money or time on auditions away. If anyone has any tips or can provide some useful information on programs in Michigan or the Midwest that I should look into I would appreciate it.

You can get fm in a lot of areas and im in places that are not highly sought w sub 450. Unless it’s like really low passing then maybe just FM and very community former aoa IM

Wait is this thread for real?
The cutoff is passing, like a 400. You pass COMLEX, congrats you can be FM in the middle of nowhere now. Enjoy.

Hey all,

Those cutoffs are usually soft. You need to contact programs directly as coomassie57 said. You should get something.

Hey all,

20-30% of FM and IM slots in this week AOA are unfilled. Just chill dude, unless you want to live in San Diego, CA.