Comlex for Gen Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly1346

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's not a step 1 score, actually. That's a level 1 (comlex) score. Word of advice, do not even ask if your competitive for ACGME, unless you have an actual step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
my bad i meant Comlex. would i have a chance at a DO GS residency

So, I have somewhat a low comlex score. 465/80. Wondering what my chances are for GS. did extremely well on surgery rotation, currently doing my medicine rotation. Got great letters (3) from 3 different surgeons. Wondering what my chances are for GS in DO residencies as well as MD

Thanks
That's a very low comlex score for GS. In 2012, the average level 1 for GS was 502 and that was two years ago which means things have gone up since then. If you're crazy about GS, I would go ahead and do aways at less competitive programs but also definitely apply for a backup specialty so that you are not screwed by the time interview season is over and you have nothing to rank.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ Thanks, thats what the plan is. Now about the averages, from the 2012 match list i saw the Avg was 502 with SD of 52 i believe. meaning most the candidates in the range of 450-550 roughly speaking correct?
secondly, would having great letters of recs/honors on surgery rotation be a plus?
third, the place where I might audition next year is an Osteopathic program which is linked to our school, so hopefully that helps?

its still early, If anything I would rank this audition site as Number 1, and prob have IM or EM as a backup. Does that make any sense?

1) yes 2) yes 3) yes. Get honors and good LORs and do better on step 2 and have a backup plan

I think everybody is going to give you the same advice. It seems like you know that your score is not as competitive, and so to make up for that you have to get great LORs, honors, and do better on Level 2. How much that helps, I honestly have no clue. For MD you would need Step1/2. I would make sure the places you audition at don't place a strong emphasis on board scores, and 100% have a back up plan.

rock your comlex 2 in addition to what others have said. if you get <550, and you really want to do general surgery, i will find a surgery program with TRI/TY, and put in some facetime for next year. If you don't want surgery that bad, then I vote for EM. much better lifestyle than IM