COMLEX II and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOsDad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take the COMLEX II in Aug 2003 do your scores have tobecome part of the residency application process. with step 1 score of 89th percentile it would seem that you are taking a sizeable risk of having a lower step 2 score

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone offer some advice on this topic - thanks

Since you did so well on Step I, I would suggest not taking COMLEX Step II until January. I was in your shoes, and it worked out well for me. (I am applying MD EM only, and got 20+ interviews).

Be aware, however, that some schools (NSUCOM now) require you to take the COMLEX at the earliest possible date...

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Quinn thanks for the reply. I am gathering information for my son who is a MS III at UHS. His plan is to apply to the best of the Osteopathic residencies and also to MD EM residencies. He will be doing away EM rotations at Genesys in Grand Blanc MI and Doctors Hospital in Columbus OH. He got 89th percentile on the COMLEX and is in the top 1/3 of his class. He did not take the USMLE. Do you think is plan of action to secure a good EM residency makes sense?

DOsDad-
Wow man I wish my dad surfed the net for me and did all that cool stuff.

Here's the deal. If he wants to get into any DO EM residency, he's a shoo-in. Assuming he did reasonably well the first two years, and assuming he'll do okay on his 3rd year rotations, then he should have no trouble whatsoever getting a DO EM residency... they aren't too competitive at all...

I will warn you that he should most definately inquire as to the accredidation status as well as financial backing, as one DO EM residency a few months ago shut down (and their residents had to find other spots)... rumors are another one is about to as well..

For MD EM spots, DOs CAN get into them. Its tough but manageable. I myself had 20+ interviews, there is another user on this site who is a DO in an OH MD residency, and a friend I met on a rotation is a DO from Touro who had many more interviews at even better places than I did. Granted, she took the USMLE, though...

My opinion is that he do a rotation at an MD facility, if he is planning on applying to MD residencies. It will help level the playing field (as we are underdogs) in regards to the ERAS application. Also, make sure he sends in his ERAS at the earliest possible date, even if he only has one or two letters of rec in...

Q

My advice is as follows:

Get yourself some balls and take the COMLEX II in August. Really bro, your are soon going to be a physician. You will have to make a lot of difficult decisions. And to think that you are jerking us all around with this idiotic dilemma that you seem to have. Give me a break. Take the test, do well, and cut the crap. And really man, try to show us that you have just a bit of testicular hypertrophy so that we don't feel so sorry for you.

-your most hypertrophied liquid:mad:

If you had bothered to read the thread you would have noticed that I was simply gathering information on which to make a rational and informed decision. Since only one person responded I hardly think that constitutes jerking this board around. Quinn's helpfullness certainly is in stark contrast to your sophmoric and unnecessary response. If you wish to flame me for this bring it on!

Quinn,

Any thoughts on NSUCOM's new requirement? It would seem that this new move is not in the students' best interests...but what would I know - I'm only an MSI.

Thanks!

care