COMLEX III---Averages, pass rates, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowkhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Can anyone post their COMQUEST averages and their corresponding level 3 score?

Also, what's the national pass rate for COMLEX 3?

If you post your score, include your study plan/materials.

I'm doing Step-Up and Comquest...not sure if that's enough.

Members don't see this ad.

:idea:Can anyone post their COMQUEST averages and their corresponding level 3 score?

Also, what's the national pass rate for COMLEX 3?

If you post your score, include your study plan/materials.

I'm doing Step-Up and Comquest...not sure if that's enough.

726. Spent about 6 hours casually going through COMBANK, didn't do any other studying at all. Total crap shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
cyclo, did you score THAT high on both COMLEX 1 and 2? that's incredible :thumbup:

Is FA Step 3 fine or was it deficient? Is FA for FM a better text to use? Boards/Wards?

cyclo, did you score THAT high on both COMLEX 1 and 2? that's incredible :thumbup:

Is FA Step 3 fine or was it deficient? Is FA for FM a better text to use? Boards/Wards?

Fyi: I'm taking level 3, pre-internship in 10 days. I'm using FA for Step 3 and Step up. Comquest is my qbank (I'm not getting 80% on first go..more like 60%). I hope this is enough studying. :/

Level 2: mid 640s.
Level 1: mid 500s

Did any of you take the step III COMSAE and felt it was WAY harder than the real thing?

Fyi: I'm taking level 3, pre-internship in 10 days. I'm using FA for Step 3 and Step up. Comquest is my qbank (I'm not getting 80% on first go..more like 60%). I hope this is enough studying. :/

Level 2: mid 640s.
Level 1: mid 500s

That's probably a smart move. I'm waiting for education $$ to pay for it.
If I recall, you are doing psych, correct? Probably for the best to take it now.

I have an integrated transitional schedule. I plan to sort of do what I did as a 3rd year. While on surg, read surg, do Qs for surg, etc. While on medicine, rinse/repeat. The only topics I won't have are OB, Peds (since Peds for me is at the end), and Psych. I figure I can catch up on those during the winter holiday.

I am not sure if I should use UW, or just cruise it with COMQuest/COMBank. I know the Qs are different, so don't know. I do plan to use COMSAEs to evaluate myself.

My COMLEX scores weren't all that below yours, either, so let me know how it all works out for you. Good luck! :luck::xf:

Yeah...the reason why I didn't do UW this time is because it's centered on the USMLE STEP 3 and apparently that is a lot different than Comlex (2 days and has multimedia case style questions). So my average first time ended up being like 63....it should go way up with repeats. I will let you know how the real deal goes down on Tuesday. :D

726. Spent about 6 hours casually going through COMBANK, didn't do any other studying at all. Total crap shoot.

I trusted this advice. I reviewed combank for a day, and spent half a day going over omm review. I agree with the general assessment of the quality of the test. I was nervous this wasn't enough studying, but ended up with a 795.

The questions that left me scratching my head, I still wasn't sure after trying to look them up. I say trying because I couldn't find a definite answer for their questions. Just stay focused, eliminate answers based on your experience and make the best guess you can.

I trusted this advice. I reviewed combank for a day, and spent half a day going over omm review. I agree with the general assessment of the quality of the test. I was nervous this wasn't enough studying, but ended up with a 795.

The questions that left me scratching my head, I still wasn't sure after trying to look them up. I say trying because I couldn't find a definite answer for their questions. Just stay focused, eliminate answers based on your experience and make the best guess you can.

795? Max score is still 800, right? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
795? Max score is still 800, right? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Yes, its on a scale of 0-800; unless something changed. I think the average increases for each step which is reassuring. Everyone I've known has gone up on their score compared to step 2, and they all were pretty unsure of how they did after the test.

Last edited:
i got an 813 last year...that was step I but i dont think there is a max score

I stand corrected. I always thought it was on a scale of 0-800. This is the first time I've heard differently. I got the official report today that states "Most examinees receive a score between 200 and 800", but never gives a max score. 350 is passing, 500 is the mean with a standard deviation of 121 in case anyone was wondering.

Honestly, I just don't have the time (nor care) to study for Step 3. Every time I try to read up on something, I get paged over some stupid **** by the nurse that the patient didn't recall until right as they're walking out of their hospital room. This usually occurs about an hour before sign-out too... right when I've finished everything and I'm trying to read up on an interesting patient. Blows..

I took it after my intern year. I recommend doing a medicine inpatient month before taking it - I learned a LOT my intern year. As a result, I didn't study much. Did ComQuest QBank once through in tutor mode. Nothing else. I would recommend review of peds, OB/Gyn and surgery in boards & wards if it's been a while. It was peds and ob/Gyn heavy, but ComQuest did a good job of reviewing those concepts for me. Savarese would be more than enough for the OMT (which I found much simpler on level 3 than on levels 1 and 2). If you have been doing any OMT during your 3rd/4th school years, you should be find on the OMT portions.

How was the OMM part of Comlex 3? I am a medicine intern at an allopathic residency.. havent touched any OMM since 2nd yr med school.... What advice do you guys have as far as high yield OMM stuff for comlex 3?

How was the OMM part of Comlex 3? I am a medicine intern at an allopathic residency.. havent touched any OMM since 2nd yr med school.... What advice do you guys have as far as high yield OMM stuff for comlex 3?

Didn't really do much dedicated OMT study for COMLEX Level 3. Reviewed the black boards boot camp book when I was confused about an answer in COMQUEST or COMBANK (or to make sure they weren't bull****ting their answer...). Will let you know how it went within the next week or two...

Okay...Allopathic Gen surg specialty here...so absolutely NO IM, FM, GYN, PEDS rotations in my residency.....So I intend on taking this exam ASAP. I am far removed from primary care stuff.
Nonetheless, God willing I will pass this last exam too! :)

Plan on using FA step 3, COMQUEST, and Savarese...

ANYONE else in surgical specialty have reccs for what to study/prepare? I appreciate everyone's advice so far and look forward to finishing these exams as well!

Plan to take the exam in 3 weeks and 1 day so I appreciate all the support here and always have in the past for exams!

Best!

Last edited: