COMLEX III with new scale, just took it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apriltherockboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time blogger but thought I would share my thoughts... I took the Comlex step 3 on Feb-26-10. I am a 3rd year resident in a very non-clinical specialty and I have struggled with this test in the past. As a repeat test taker, I cannot say that the "new" test was any different (as expected).

I can say this however; I studied harder and felt worse than any of the previous 2 attempts. (missed my last attempt by 1 scaled point)

I'm one of those who marks questions that I don't know COLD (theoretically) and then counts the marks at the end. I marked between 18-25/50. So.. given an average of 21.5 marked questions per block that means I potentially missed 172 /400 questions = 57% correct.

I have no idea at all what that means. I did every single question on USMLE world (something like 1300 Q's and was averaging about 55% first pass), and I've done Combank, Crush, Savarsee.

Anyway, I know my approach is exceedingly bias, but I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done something like this and has any clue as to about what kind of subjective % it takes to pass? I used to do the same thing in medical school and was pretty good at getting it right +/- a few.

Basically this is my 3rd time taking it (Self Esteem in the gutter).

-arock :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

The test itself was NOT changed, only the final scoring scheme. So for example, in the past, let's say having 63% allowed one to pass the exam; now, with the new scaling scheme, one may have to get 66% to pass in order to get the 350.

Well xMAN, I think your hypothetical numbers are probably about right.

My scores were: 325/73

I felt I only got about 57% correct. (based on my above post)

Assuming I scored myself correctly... and given all this conjecture, it looks like a person needs to be well above 60-65% to receive a passing value of 350.

So, for myself and future testtakers... plan on getting at least 33 questions right for every block of 50.

just my opinion.

Sorry to hear you failed.

Can you share what materials you used and what you felt helped, and didnt help? Did you find Crush helped? FA?

Thanks

Well xMAN, I think your hypothetical numbers are probably about right.

My scores were: 325/73

I felt I only got about 57% correct. (based on my above post)

Assuming I scored myself correctly... and given all this conjecture, it looks like a person needs to be well above 60-65% to receive a passing value of 350.

So, for myself and future testtakers... plan on getting at least 33 questions right for every block of 50.

just my opinion.