Comlex level II PE Question (Smoking cessation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConshoHAWKIN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker-- decided to finally make an account. Took this test on Monday, and as expected there were patients who were smokers. I asked them about smoking, but didn't comment on how to quit. Nonetheless, my question is---

In the Assessment I had "tobacco use" low in the differential, and in the plan I put "smoking cessation" low in the plan, even though I didn't counsel them. I'm very cautious about the NBOME in this regard and didn't realize my mistake till afterwards. Has anyone else done this and was it okay? Or did I just shoot myself in the foot with a 2,000$ bullet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, long time lurker-- decided to finally make an account. Took this test on Monday, and as expected there were patients who were smokers. I asked them about smoking, but didn't comment on how to quit. Nonetheless, my question is---

In the Assessment I had "tobacco use" low in the differential, and in the plan I put "smoking cessation" low in the plan, even though I didn't counsel them. I'm very cautious about the NBOME in this regard and didn't realize my mistake till afterwards. Has anyone else done this and was it okay? Or did I just shoot myself in the foot with a 2,000$ bullet?
i don't think its a big deal. when i took it the time window was so tight, i rarely counseled on it and basically just asked a few "Do you have any desire to quit?" and the answer was "no' so i dropped it

I did the same thing more or less. I swear half of my patients were smokers, I never got to counseling them about it. As a chronic problem, I put it low on the differential and I also put in the plan something to the effect of "Tobacco cessation counseling on next visit" or "Tobacco cessation counseling after resolution of current illness." If you are worried that they will think you claimed you counseled them when you actually didn't, I don't think so. Unlike the S and O portions of the note, most of what we put in the plan is something to be done in the future, not something we actually did. I would think (hope) that this would only be a problem if you stated something like "Performed tobacco cessation counseling."

I don't think it's a problem, but then again, I just took it as well so who knows. I'm hoping it is normal to keep thinking of things I missed or should have done differently...

I did the exact same thing as you. I passed. I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile