Comlex OMT

RockandRolldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
Davie, FL
    Alright.. there aren't many review books to choose from, but I've know of the main ones.. My question is this... There is a lot of disagreement between the various texts/professors on the spinal levels of sympathetic innervation and distribution... e.g. Some will tell you that the heart is T1-T6 some say T1-T5......Some say the esophagus is T1-T6 and some say T2-T7... basically i keep on hearing conflicting answers from all directions. Does anyone know what the real answers are, not that there are "real" answers, but in regards to the boards coming up, does anyone know what book or website, or anything has the standard answers that we'll see on COMLEX????

stomper627

Go Cougs!!!
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    2+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    May 22, 2003
    Lyndhurst, NJ
      Originally posted by RockandRolldoc
      Alright.. there aren't many review books to choose from, but I've know of the main ones.. My question is this... There is a lot of disagreement between the various texts/professors on the spinal levels of sympathetic innervation and distribution... e.g. Some will tell you that the heart is T1-T6 some say T1-T5......Some say the esophagus is T1-T6 and some say T2-T7... basically i keep on hearing conflicting answers from all directions. Does anyone know what the real answers are, not that there are "real" answers, but in regards to the boards coming up, does anyone know what book or website, or anything has the standard answers that we'll see on COMLEX????

There is no right answer....and the answers on the COMpLEX will be which ever answer people chose the most often.

Yosh

Livin' in the WINDY CITY
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 25, 1999
      NW Indiana
      1. Attending Physician
        Sadly the above poster is right...the COMLEX OMT was soo poorly worded....and esoteric....it was rediculous.

The book everyone reccommends is OMT by Saverese....he is a Nova grad.

It is frustrating...TRUST me...

Read the book...know the visceral-somatic and autonomics...and do your best...

About the Ads

applicant2002

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member

According to what I was told by one of my school's OMT instructors, the "official" viscerosomatic reflex chart is the one in the Kuchera book. (I forget the name, but it's a white book around 1-1/2 inches thick). Hope this helps.

haujun

15+ Year Member
          Jan 22, 2002
          1. Attending Physician
            I think the book is called "osteopathic considerations in systemic dysfunctions." OMM questions in complex are tend to be much more straightforward and without controversy since some knowledge or technique can be different from other schools. Study OMM that is why you are in DO school.
            MS II

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Dec 6, 2000
            Wisconsin

Fear not! Regarding sympathetic levels (which is by far the vast majority of the OMM questions), the answer choices won't be as specific as you fear. The choices for heart will be:
              R T3
              BL T10
              R T 7
              L T 3
              L T 7

So the obvious choice is Left T 3. See? Fear not, just know the general area.

I used OMT by Savarese EXCLUSIVELY for both step 1 and step 2 and scored 93% and 99% respsectively. It is hands down the ONLY OMT review book you'll need. Hence the name. :)

Q, DO

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
              Removed
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Feb 4, 2000
              www.pcom.edu
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                I have used Savarese as part of my study guide to clear up some points, but there are a few things in the book which are downright wrong. Someone mentioned earlier about discrepancies from text to text and this is true because different texts cite different research. Same reason you find different statistical results in anatomy and clinical texts from many disciplines.

Savarese will give you what you need to do well on the COMLEX (along with what you remember from lab and lecture), but if you are interested in using OMT as a daily part of your practice or want to expand your OMT skills, there are many other books.

The books by Kuchera are regarded as the "industry standard". Foundations is a great book, but certainly not a good review text. The DiGiovanna & Schiowitz text that many schools used is good because it cites so many different studies and other texts...really gives you a good overview of things.

Pilot

10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 5, 2000
                1. Attending Physician
                  Savarese - need to only memorize two charts - sympathetic and parasympathetic innervations. This will get you 85% of the OMT questions. The other 15% seemed to be Craniosacral BS which I wouldn't have been able to answer even if I had studied it.

Just got my grades from Jan Step 2 - and there was so few OMT questions, relatively speaking, that my performance profile encompassed both High performance and Borderline on Osteopathic Principles and Practice, and High performance of General Osteopathic Medicine. Spent a total of 1 hour studying OMT for Step 2.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.