COMLEX pass rates and residency positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the comlex passing rate? and how many total osteopaths graduate med school each year vs. osteopath residency positions available? are some students forced to go to allopathic residencies, or is there enough spots for them in the osteopathic residencies

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the comlex passing rate?

You mean overall, or by school? I have no idea what it is per school, but I'm sure you could find that out with some research. However, I think pass rate doesn't really tell you that much. My impression is that most schools have similar pass rates. It's only when a school is an outlier that pass rate will mean something. I'd say that the percentage of students that get their first choice of residency is more telling of a given school.

and how many total osteopaths graduate med school each year vs. osteopath residency positions available?

You can look this information up through the AOA. They probably have data on this.

are some students forced to go to allopathic residencies, or is there enough spots for them in the osteopathic residencies

I'm sure this depends on what specialty we are talking about. However, my unsubstantiated guess is that, currently, there are sufficient OPTI spots for folks that want them. In fact, it has been cited time and again that there are a number of unfilled OPTI primary care spots each year. My impression is that folks don't choose ACGME spots because there aren't OPTI spots available, but because of other factors.

Anyway, do some research and you'll come across the statistics.

what is the comlex passing rate? and how many total osteopaths graduate med school each year vs. osteopath residency positions available? are some students forced to go to allopathic residencies, or is there enough spots for them in the osteopathic residencies

The COMLEX pass rate is 100% for every school, because people will eventually pass if they keep retaking it.

There are not enough DO residency spots in desirable residencies, but a majority of graduates apply to MD residencies anyway---because they like them better, not because they are forced to.

There are not enough DO residency spots in desirable residencies, but a majority of graduates apply to MD residencies anyway---because they like them better, not because they are forced to.

Let me add that there is also not enough MD/ACGME spots for desired residencies. And I also believe they usually apply to them to increase chances of acceptance and for more location choices.

I heard that if you apply MD and DO residencies, and if placed into a DO residency, you are automatically dropped from the MD residency program...so is it risky only to apply to MD residencies?

I heard that if you apply MD and DO residencies, and if placed into a DO residency, you are automatically dropped from the MD residency program...so is it risky only to apply to MD residencies?

It is risky to apply to only MD residencies if you are not a competitive applicant.

It is risky to apply to only MD residencies if you are not a competitive applicant.

Do many D.O. students only apply to M.D. residencies or do they only apply to specific allopathic residencies..for example...

I apply to allopathic internal med residency, but because I also like surgery but don't think I am competitive for allopathic surgery, I will just apply to osteopathic programs.

If I match into the osteopathic surgery program will I be dropped from the allopathic internal med match?

PlAnEjaNe

the osteopathic match happens a month before the allopathic match. so yes you can apply to both, but if you match into a DO program you are withdrawn from the allopathic match.
this is why alot of us are pushing for a joint match. so we dont have to rank the MD and DO programs separately. but thats years from happening, if ever...

Do many D.O. students only apply to M.D. residencies or do they only apply to specific allopathic residencies..for example...

I apply to allopathic internal med residency, but because I also like surgery but don't think I am competitive for allopathic surgery, I will just apply to osteopathic programs.

If I match into the osteopathic surgery program will I be dropped from the allopathic internal med match?

PlAnEjaNe

If you match into osteopathic, yes you will be dropped from the allopathic match.

I am applying to programs in both matches. If I fare well and get plenty of allopathic interviews, I will not pursue the osteopathic match. If, however, I get relatively few interviews, I will just proceed with the osteopathic match.

If you match into osteopathic, yes you will be dropped from the allopathic match.

I am applying to programs in both matches. If I fare well and get plenty of allopathic interviews, I will not pursue the osteopathic match. If, however, I get relatively few interviews, I will just proceed with the osteopathic match.

Hmmm, well, at least you can gauge your competitiveness through # of interviews received. It would make more sense, as the previous poster suggested, to rank both MD and DO programs together, this would give you the best chance of matching and would still allow the DO programs to fill their positions.

PlAnEjaNe

If you have a pulse, a degree, and a passing score on the first two steps of Comlex, you can probably matching to some Family Practice residency, somewhere...

When is the latest you can drop from the osteo match before you are dropped from the allo?

Never mind, I think I figured it out, just don't submit your rank list by the Final date for submission.