COMLEX Comlex PE anxiety.. documentation of physical exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrChance2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you do an exam wrong or somewhat incomplete but document the findings as normal can they fail you for that b/c of documentation? I felt so good after the exam. Post PE anxiety is rough.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do an exam wrong or somewhat incomplete but document the findings as normal can they fail you for that b/c of documentation? I felt so good after the exam. Post PE anxiety is rough.

I think they allow one error per soap note.

I think they allow one error per soap note.

So on my patient I did something kind of dumb. I will make up the scenario but let's say the patient had left ankle pain. I forgot halfway through and treated the right ankle.

I documented everything as such though. For example (and again this is made up and not the actual scenario) in the subjective part I put that this patient had left ankle pain but in the objective and plan part I put right ankle just like I had talked to the patient about and actually treated. I felt like everything else about the encounter was great though. Unfortunately that is a rather huge mistake.

Will being honest in the SOAP note about what treatment I did even though it was blatantly wrong fail me? Has anyone ever done this and still passed?

So on my patient I did something kind of dumb. I will make up the scenario but let's say the patient had left ankle pain. I forgot halfway through and treated the right ankle.

I documented everything as such though. For example (and again this is made up and not the actual scenario) in the subjective part I put that this patient had left ankle pain but in the objective and plan part I put right ankle just like I had talked to the patient about and actually treated. I felt like everything else about the encounter was great though. Unfortunately that is a rather huge mistake.

Will being honest in the SOAP note about what treatment I did even though it was blatantly wrong fail me? Has anyone ever done this and still passed?

youll probably be okay

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how many mistakes can be made in the SOAP note section? I am a bit worried (still have not received my score yet) over whether or not my SOAP notes will make the cut. My objective, assessment, and plan were more or less always complete but when I finally got to my subjective part of the note I would be rushed for time. Can't remember if my actual HPI had any relevant information besides two or three sentences but i always included the rest of the subjective portion (ROS, FH, PMH, SocHX, SurgHX, medications, allergies) Does anyone have any input on the SOAP note section or words of wisdom so I can maybe stop freaking out so much about this exam. Any help would be appreciated.