Comlex Physical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year they are starting to require the class of 2005 to take a physical exam portion of the exam for the COMLEX. It will only be held in Philadelphia, and will cost approx $1000 for the exam, not including airfare and hotel. I took Step 1 USMLE and did not do as well as I hoped, although am hoping to match with MD residency. I wanted to take Step II USMLE as well, but I heard that they are also required a physical exam for their Step II now. Has anyone heard any info on it, and if so, is it possible to only take the computer portion of USMLE Step II so I don't have to pay and take TWO physical exam boards?

Members don't see this ad.

From what we have been told by the administration at my school, you take the computer or written part of step II separate from the clinical skills portion. The written is $435 like Step I and the clinical skills test is $975 (not including travel/lodging). I forget the exact locations (I just know that Chicago is the closest site to my school being offered), but I think there are less than 10 sites that the step II clinical skills exam is being administered. I don't know much, but I do know that my school is making it required to graduate so they can include it in our financial aid budget, otherwise, I don't know how in the world we are expected to pay for all of these tests.

Are you talking about the different prices for USMLE? I know that you take them separately, I was just wondering if any MS-3 DO students that are required to take the COMLEX Physical Exam along with the COMLEX Step II are thinking about taking the USMLE Step II as well...the costs are pretty prohibitive. Any word if we can just take the written USMLE and get a number score to make up for a low USMLE Step I score?

I just did some research on it....The USMLE written and physical exam portion are scored and reported separately. So I would guess that it is possible to just take the written exam for DO students and not the physical exam portion. In regards to the COMLEX physical exam, the website did not list a price that I could find (although $1000 is an estimate) and here is what it says about the ONE testing site: Located in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (immediately bordering Philadelphia and 22 minutes from Philadelphia International Airport), this state-of-the -art clinical skills testing facility is currently under construction and will be opened by late Spring 2004, with testing to begin in September, 2004.

So I guess $1000 on top of airfare/hotel. Any word from any 2005 DO graduates on whether the schools are paying for the exams?