COMLEX Q-Banks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know UWORLD is generally the gold standard of q-banks, especially for students taking the USMLE as well as the COMLEX. But what's the best choice for a COMLEX-style one?

In addition to UWORLD I've been using COMBANK so far, mostly because my school paid for it. Is it worth paying for COMQUEST and using that either as a replacement or an addition? Or is there another option I'm not aware of?

(For a complete picture-- I also have DIT, Pathoma, and just purchased Sketchy).

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, COMBANK had far more questions, but COMQUEST were far better quality. If I had to do it again, I would focus heavily on UWorld and COMQUEST and forget COMBANK.

Reactions: 1 user
How many questions a day/week are you able to complete? I'm wondering since you are studying for your classes at the same time. Or do you just dedicate a certain # of hours a day/week to board studying and what you get through is what you get through?

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, I like combank but I've never tried comquest. I feel like company really hits the big yield topics well and prepared me very well for step 1.

I used both Combank and Comquest, I feel as a set they were really helpful for my COMLEX Each program had advantages and disadvantages, but putting them together helped me see a particular topic from multiple angles.

And yes, UWorld as well but it is essential to have a COMLEX-written style bank so you are familiar with how the questions are worded / written.

Comquest also recently went through an entire system re-upgrade, and I've noticed the improvement. Since the upgrade especially, I would recommend both programs.

I used comquest only (essentially no book studying) for 2 and 3. Did quite well. Wish I'd known about it for step 1, could've saved time. Felt it was pretty similar to comlex's.

I would go with Combank over comquest but comquest just recently updated their website, questions are still the same. I just finished using them both for level 3. Uworld and then either of them, you won't go wrong.

How does one have time to go through 2-3 entire Q banks??

is that not hard while also trying not to fail out of your classes?
Nah, it's only an extra 3 hours a day on top of classes. Doing at least a block a day starting winter break is definitely doable.

So, as I've said elsewhere before--- the allopathic QBanks (I used Kaplan because the school paid for it) had better quality overall questions that truly tested medical knowledge and ability to differentiate similar diseases by the classic features ---

unfortunately, the COMLEX itself is nowhere near that kind of test -- I found it to be more of a "Can I buy a vowel, please, Pat?" type of test where you had to get inside the question writer's head, figure out what point they thought was important and then answer the question based on your best guess given those parameters -- all inside 90 seconds on exam day.

So -- I used Kaplan for COMLEX 1 and passed just below the national average. Used Combank for COMLEX 2 and did about the same; But then again, I was reviewing with Step Up to Step 2 also and taking DIT which was more of a speed review rather than a study the material again to make sure you understand, indepth review -- basically point sniping in my opinion.....

for COMLEX 3, I used COMQUEST --- I'd review a section out of FA for Step 3 and then do the associated COMQUEST section and take notes on the answers -- eventually I just wanted to get through the Qbank at least once --- I did --- wound up spending less time studying and actually scored higher than I had on the other 2 by a significant margin.

When I used Kaplan, I had that,"What the hell is this?" feeling when taking the exam -- like I'd never seen the questions before -- there was a very marked difference in style.

With Combank, at least the style was the same; With Comquest -- it was like they had channeled the test writers -- I swear there were a few questions directly out of that QBank on my COMLEX 3

for my money, I'd used COMQUEST for test familiarity and UWorld for truly testing medical knowledge and building my knowledge base.

Again, my experience only, no warranties expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, vehicle driven by a professional driver on a closed track ---

and I took my COMLEX 3 in 2012.

Reactions: 1 user
Only buy it if you finish both UWorld and Combank, and have enough time to finish Comquest while reviewing the other ones you got wrong. Since you have a free subscription to Combank and already bought UWorld, I'd stick to those until you finish. I know people that didn't buy Comquest until 2-3 wks before their exam and they were able to get through most of it regardless.

In my experience I liked the Comquest questions and explanations better than Combank, but it isn't enough to justify buying the other if you already have Combank for free.